Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 06 Nov '07 05:51
    Okay, so certain persons will challenge you. When I receive a challenge, I usually take it. And I say, Hello. Most respond with a greeting of some kind. But what is up w/those who challenge you, out of nowhere, and can't even respond w/common courtesy? It's not that I crave a dialogue...it's just courtesy.
  2. 06 Nov '07 06:53
    I find I rarely accept a challenge without an introduction. It is unlikely to be from an opponent I feel I would be on level terms with, unless they were cheating and hoped to use my points towards their eventual banning.
  3. 06 Nov '07 07:02
    I log in and play a move. Sometimes I do not notice anything but the move played for several moves. This way I even miss draw offers. I can only speak for myself as to why I may have failed to speak to my opponent.
  4. 06 Nov '07 09:26
    When I'm challenged by someone I don't know, and I feel that I can take the game, I do some research of the fellow.
    If he has a rating that levels his skill, and not too higher than mine, I usually accept the challenge.
    I like some politeness, but I can very well do without it. What I don't like is rudeness.
  5. 06 Nov '07 11:37
    I used to get blind challenegse, the thing that irked me was that they odten sat there at the bottom of my list of 60-70 games just ticking away unnoticed, so when I did find these random games I would just trash them out of annoyance that they had been there a day or two without my knowledge or that I simply had enough games going and my profile quite clearly says "no blind challenges".
  6. 06 Nov '07 12:33
    When I first arrived here I used to challenge anybody with a rating near mine and an "online now" greenspot. Now I'm older and wiser I create an "open invite" but then I lacked the confidence to do so. Apologies to anyone I may have annoyed in this way in the past.
  7. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    06 Nov '07 13:13
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    I used to get blind challenegse, the thing that irked me was that they odten sat there at the bottom of my list of 60-70 games just ticking away unnoticed, so when I did find these random games I would just trash them out of annoyance that they had been there a day or two without my knowledge or that I simply had enough games going and my profile quite clearly says "no blind challenges".
    my settings/challenge settings/max games = 0.

    that way people need to pm you and ask for a game, which you can then accept or refuse depending on the situation.

    having unlimited challenge settings sort of means that you agree to blind challenges.
  8. 06 Nov '07 14:51
    Originally posted by wormwood
    my settings/challenge settings/max games = 0.

    that way people need to pm you and ask for a game, which you can then accept or refuse depending on the situation.

    having unlimited challenge settings sort of means that you agree to blind challenges.
    Thanks for the tip, I figured that out after a while but didnt realize it at first.
  9. 07 Nov '07 02:07
    I don't care if they speak or not. If they do speak I'll usually reply though. I dislike them messaging during the game. I normally will say good game if it's mate in one or I've mated them or I'm resigning.
  10. 07 Nov '07 02:12
    I usually accept challenges and am more likely to do so if a message comes. However, I will not accept any challenges from a deep loser fart smeller.
  11. 07 Nov '07 02:39
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Okay, so certain persons will challenge you. When I receive a challenge, I usually take it. And I say, Hello. Most respond with a greeting of some kind. But what is up w/those who challenge you, out of nowhere, and can't even respond w/common courtesy? It's not that I crave a dialogue...it's just courtesy.
    I'm with T-Rex, most of my games come from friends (like Matt, timtim, and occassionally the Flying Dutchman (from Ohio))
    when random challenges come across, I ask them why they want to play, and usually tell them I'm not interested in games other than those with dialogue (other than with the Flying Dutchman(from Ohio) (since he never* talks) since I'm interested in discussion over the position.

    *never=rarely**


    **rarely= never with any significance regarding the position
  12. 07 Nov '07 03:22
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Okay, so certain persons will challenge you. When I receive a challenge, I usually take it. And I say, Hello. Most respond with a greeting of some kind. But what is up w/those who challenge you, out of nowhere, and can't even respond w/common courtesy? It's not that I crave a dialogue...it's just courtesy.
    Beware a couple of things when this happens.
    1. Skull chasers will often do this. Make sure you check the time limits before accepting. If it's 1 day with no bank, they're after the move timeout.
    2. Sandbagers. Look at the profile. If the person was once much higher than you and dropped because of time away, they might challenge you knowing you're much lower than their actual rating. Provisional ratings are the same. A new player that is knowingly higher rated will challenge lower rated players to get the easy wins.

    3. Sometimes they're just lonely and want a game.
  13. 07 Nov '07 04:24
    Originally posted by hamltnblue

    1. Skull chasers will often do this. Make sure you check the time limits before accepting. If it's 1 day with no bank, they're after the move timeout.
    You don't lose any rating points if you never moved in the game...