Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member slappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    18 Feb '07 01:38
    I've been reading books on chess and I found an ending where it is possible to force your opponent into mate with three knights.

Has anyone ever did this or had the option to do this? I would love to see an example or this.
  2. 18 Feb '07 01:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by slappy115
    I've been reading books on chess and I found an ending where it is possible to force your opponent into mate with three knights.

Has anyone ever did this or had the option to do this? I would love to see an example or this.
    I have the book called "Basic Chess Endings" by Rueben Fine.

It is 573 pages long and includes all possible ending situations.
  3. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    18 Feb '07 02:03

I've heard its impossible with two knights but I don't know about three.

However, it is possible, from what I've heard, for the knights (with the king) to deliver checkmate if the opponent blunders, but not if s/he plays intelligently.
  4. Standard member slappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    18 Feb '07 02:13
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    I have the book called "Basic Chess Endings" by Rueben Fine.

It is 573 pages long and includes all possible ending situations.
    That's one of the books that I got from the library up at school which is where I found out about it. I was just curious to see if anyone had an example in their folders of a mate with these peices. Or really, if anyone has ever decided to try it.
  5. 18 Feb '07 04:31
    That's one of the books that I got from the library up at school which is where I found out about it. I was just curious to see if anyone had an example in their folders of a mate with these peices. Or really, if anyone has ever decided to try it.
    It is pretty rare to promote a pawn to a knight (although it is sometimes the best move). It is probably even rarer to still have 2 knights when this happend.
  6. Standard member slappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    18 Feb '07 05:45
    Originally posted by zambony
    It is pretty rare to promote a pawn to a knight (although it is sometimes the best move). It is probably even rarer to still have 2 knights when this happend.
    That's what I was thinking. It might be possible but wouldn't it be faster, in general, to promote to a queen?
  7. 18 Feb '07 06:05
    Using three knights to mate a lone king should not be hard (just push it towards the corner and use any two to deliver the mate while the third is blocking the escape route). And just to add something - in general three knights win against one (i.e. the lone knight gets captured in the process).