1. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 18:03
    Hello guys,

I have a friend who is rated about 1000 on CTS, and my rating there is about 1370. We don't play OTB because he is not interested in mostly losing. I'd like to make our chances equal by time handicap. I tryed to google chess time handicap rating but didn't see anything instructive.
    Could you let me know where to find even a rough guide on how to choose time difference in time handicaps for a given rating difference?
    I think we'd most likely play rapid games (20 - 30 mins).

Thanks!
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 18:20
    Originally posted by Guych
    Hello guys,

I have a friend who is rated about 1000 on CTS, and my rating there is about 1370. We don't play OTB because he is not interested in mostly losing. I'd like to make our chances equal by time handicap. I tryed to google chess time handicap rating but didn't see anything instructive.
    Could you let me know where to find even a rough guide on how t ...[text shortened]... ven rating difference?

Thanks!
    Hmm, I'm not sure about time handicaps for people, although I'm sure some out there know about the subject. I can say that in the computer field, doubling the calculation time increases a chess program's strength by around 50 or 60 elo points. (Don't know if that also applies to non-silicon beings, though.)
  3. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 18:25
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hmm, I'm not sure about time handicaps for people, although I'm sure some out there know about the subject. I can say that in the computer field, doubling the calculation time increases a chess program's strength by around 50 or 60 elo points. (Don't know if that also applies to non-silicon beings, though.)
    In that case for our rating difference of about 370 points he'd have 2x2x2x2x2x2 more time that I do? 😀
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 18:27
    In that case for our rating difference of about 370 points he'd have 2x2x2x2x2x2 more time that I do? 😀
    Yep, assuming people think like computers. (Oh man, I'm gonna get blasted for that remark, hehe.)
  5. Joined
    14 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 19:55
    Why not give him a big advantage eg you get 10mins, he gets 60 mins for example - expecting him to win the first game. You agree that after every game he wins you add 5 mins to your time for the next game and every time you win you lose 5 mins. This should mean both players get a chance to win games and both feel a good degree of challenge.
    If you hit upon the perfect handicap then just use that for future games until the gap between you changes.
  6. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 20:01
    CTS = chess tactics server,right?
    Out of curiosity,have you two actually ever played each other?I ask because I wonder if a pure tactics rating has any meaning when it comes to playing an entire game.He could be better than you in other areas to even things out.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 20:45
    Hello guys,

Could you let me know where to find even a rough guide on how t ...[text shortened]... ven rating difference?

Thanks!
    One idea is progressive handicaps if you think he'd be willing to play more than once. I used to do this in blitz. For example, you start out at 5 minutes each and every win, you get once less minute and he gets one more minute. Eventually, you find the time handicap that's about fair and oscillate around that.

You could start at something like 30 minutes for him and 15 minutes for you and every time you win, he gets 5 more minutes and you get 3 less or something like that. If he wins, reverse that. Obviously, you could change this to suit whatever you think is appropriate.
  8. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 18:36
    Thank you very much everyone! Those are good ideas. Yes, CTS is chess tactics server; and yes we've played once with no clock and I won.
    Thanks!
  9. washington
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 18:39
    with a big rating difference if you give him an extra 50 minutes and he's 1000 hes not thinking very long anyway. A better way might be to give him 10 minutes and you 2 minutes. Higher rating levels will constitute bigger time limits. Lower rated people don't think as long and don't need as much time to play at their level.
  10. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 19:29
    Originally posted by kmac27
    with a big rating difference if you give him an extra 50 minutes and he's 1000 hes not thinking very long anyway. A better way might be to give him 10 minutes and you 2 minutes. Higher rating levels will constitute bigger time limits. Lower rated people don't think as long and don't need as much time to play at their level.
    Right, I see what you mean. It is true for me, I don't thinkg for long even in correspondance chess here on RHP. I'm not sure if it is true for my friend, in the one game we played he thought for much longer than I did (although it's only 1 game).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree