1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 12:571 edit
    I've only played a few dozen games in yere yet, but this happenned to me twice: when losing, they have just left the game to result in a time-out loss. (they were making moves in their other games, only not mine.)

probably they suppose it's just good for their profile (not particularly the profile on the site), not losing by resignation but by a time-out. it's like saying hey, I didn't admit it, it just happened.

here's one of my games which I would be proud to post in my profile, but just don't want to because of that timeout situation: Game 4584481 (the last move by white wasn't a blunder by the way. the game was lost already).
  2. Earth
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I've only played a few dozen games in yere yet, but this happenned to me twice: when losing, they have just left the game to result in a time-out loss. (they were making moves in their other games, only not mine.)

probably they suppose it's just good for their profile (not particularly the profile on the site), not losing by resignation but by a time-out 81[/gid] (the last move by white wasn't a blunder by the way. the game was lost already).
    I once was challenged by a guy whos only reason for choosing me was that at that time, my profile said I take timeouts. He did it just to argue the toss with me.
    He said he was ethically opposed to this in all circumstances, and was both belligerent and closed of mind in our brief in game messages on the subject.
    His profile NOW reads "I take timeouts in circumstances where you stop playing altogether" !

As he found, sadly diskamyl, some people just can't bear to click the resignation button. Timeout leaves them incorrectly feeling that they weren't beaten, when in fact they were. This is why we have time controls. This is why, unless I am friends with my opponent, I click!
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 19:23
    Originally posted by diskamyl

probably they suppose it's just good for their profile (not particularly the profile on the site), not losing by resignation but by a time-out ...[text shortened]... 81[/gid] (the last move by white wasn't a blunder by the way. the game was lost already).
    Mercy is for the weak. You should not be ashamed in taking a timeout victory; you should revel in it.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 23:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Mercy is for the weak. You should not be ashamed in taking a timeout victory; you should revel in it.
    I believe that mercy is a great virtue....but never in chess!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree