To all those who say develop your pieces

To all those who say develop your pieces

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

q

Moves
25 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
White probably made mistakes because of the psychology of the position. 😏

P.S. I would bet greenpawn34 would have had the right psychology to win as white with such a lead in development.
On the contrary, I would suggest such positions are greenpawn's achilles heal.... white needs to come up with a strong strategic plan as black hasn't created any concrete weaknesses. Greenpawn's strengths revolve around bombarding defined weaknesses with all the forces available to him in a very dynamic manner!

e4

Moves
26 Dec 12

I am greenpawn's achilles heal.

Never played the Two Knights variation v the Kann. On move 3 went through
a period of playing 3.Qf3 with some good results.

1. e4 c6 2. Nc3 d5 3. Qf3

p

Moves
26 Dec 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I am greenpawn's achilles heal.

Never played the Two Knights variation v the Kann. On move 3 went through
a period of playing 3.Qf3 with some good results.

1. e4 c6 2. Nc3 d5 3. Qf3

[fen]rnbqkbnr/pp2pppp/2p5/3p4/4P3/2N2Q2/PPPP1PPP/R1B1KBNR b KQkq - 0 3[/fen]
That was one of the few opening books I didn't buy from the old Chess Digest company out of Texas (owned by Ken Smith). The book was in descriptive and titled New Ideas In Old Settings. It seemed like a very interesting idea. The Qf3 move seems to stop black's main idea of developing the c8 bishop outside the pawn chain. I'd love to see a game or two with it, if you still have them.

p

Moves
26 Dec 12
2 edits

I did buy all the little Chess Hammer pamplets by Thinker's Press (Chessco). The Hillbilly Attack is always good for a laugh.:

It's surely unsound but worth a go in blitz.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Dec 12

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
I did buy all the little Chess Hammer pamplets by Thinker's Press (Chessco). The Hillbilly Attack is always good for a laugh.:

[pgn]1.e4 c6 2.Bc4 {Enter Banjo Music} d5 3.Bb3 {Stay away from jugs marked XXX} dxe4 4.Qh5 {The attack at f7 begins. Black can play e6 or g6. The queen usually ends up at h4. White can play Nc3 and/or f3 with a Blackmar-Diemer style attack.} [/pgn]

It's surely unsound but worth a go in blitz.
After 4...e6, how does the white queen usually end up on h4 as you say?

p

Moves
26 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
After 4...e6, how does the white queen usually end up on h4 as you say?
Maybe with 5.Nc3 Nf6 6.Qh4 ... The Nf6 move is what pushes it to h4 in the e6 lines.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Dec 12

Maybe with 5.Nc3 Nf6 6.Qh4 ... The Nf6 move is what pushes it to h4 in the e6 lines.
Okay, thanks.

p

Moves
26 Dec 12

I finished this one just a moment ago. It's not a perfect game but does show a few pitfalls for black.

Moves
27 Dec 12

Speaking of strange openings - did you every suscribe to MOB?

p

Moves
27 Dec 12

Originally posted by kbear1k
Speaking of strange openings - did you every suscribe to MOB?
I bought the latest edition of his book on 1.e4 Nc6 in the mid 90's. The book was pretty good (better than the opening!). I really enjoyed it and looked into the bulletin. I did order one bulletin, and it was nice. I remember it being a little bit of everything. Let's see ...

I have it off the shelf now.

The Myers Openings Bulletin - New MOB No 9 - December 1996

An interesting Sam Lloyd stalemate on the cover
An article on Kennedy/Leans and the history of 1.e4 Nc6 2.d4 e5
(which includes early games, reverse ones with 1.Nc3, and a pretty thorough analysis of it)
A "Book Review" of his book on 1.e4 Nc6 - more like a preview
A brief article on 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nf3 f5 - with a game from 1911
An article titled Chess Sabotage with rants on Fischer/Benjamin + Schiller/ etc
Book Reviews of Chess Explorations By Winter, Gufeld (French Tarrasch), and more (The reviews go all the way to the back cover of the pamplet!).

This may be the last one. I'm not sure. I found it very interesting but not enough to go and get all the back issues. He seems to go all over the place. It would make a great blog nowadays. At the time, it was worth more because information was a lot harder to obtain.

What are your thoughts on the MOB?

My collection also has the entire last year of Chess Digest Magazine. Those were short but nice too.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
27 Dec 12
1 edit

Pawns are the only piece that never have the luxury of retreating.

It took me 30+ years to figure that one out. 😞

p

Moves
27 Dec 12

That is so true.

When I made the transformation from win some lose some to winning more, I noticed something. If I would just make solid moves and not try to alter the position, a lot of my opponents would eventually try to force something (with unnecessary pawn pushes) and overextend. At that level, not making mistakes and waiting was enough to win.

I can even recall a 1 minute session where I was playing up. I was tactically better than the guy, but I kept losing. After about 5 straight losses, I decided no matter what I was not going to loosen my position with pawn moves. When I began just sitting on the position, he began to panic and force things. The tide changed, and I caught up (and passed him). That was years ago, but I still remember the lesson.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
27 Dec 12

That is so true.

When I made the transformation from win some lose some to winning more, I noticed something. If I would just make solid moves and not try to alter the position, a lot of my opponents would eventually try to force something (with unnecessary pawn pushes) and overextend. At that level, not making mistakes and waiting was eno ...[text shortened]... changed, and I caught up (and passed him). That was years ago, but I still remember the lesson.
Welcome to positional play. 🙂 Tactics still rule, but when tactics are not there all you have left is position.

Moves
27 Dec 12

"What are your thoughts on the MOB?"
I thought they were OK - one of my best friends from college has most, if not all of Myers publications. My friend liked "different" lines whereas I tended to follow main line and study Informats most of the time. I liked Myers' style and we shared similar feelings towards a particular opening book author - it might be easy to figure who I am talking about. The person in question wrote cr*py chess books in my opinion. It was a sad day when Hugh passed away. I have an autographed copy of his "Chess Explorer" that was given to my by the friend I mentioned. It is a nice read with some nice games - not my style of play but nice moves in a position are nice moves no matter how one gets to said position.