Moves
    30 Oct '12 08:114 edits
    yet, another edit.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 08:30
    Hi vivify

Black offered a draw after his first move whit resigned after blacks 18th move. I hope this clears up any confusion.

To be blunt, but not intending offence, you should read the whole post before replying to avoid this in the future. 🙂
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 08:352 edits
    gotcha. I deleted my last two, very useless posts. At the very least, it was good fen/pgn practice, since I finally got the hang of it, because this forever to do.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:071 edit
    Originally posted by dikankan
    Hi Paul, what an interesting endgame. Psychologically perhaps you were both influenced by the earlier course of the game into looking at the position through white tinted spectacles. I think black should be thinking of winning fron the initial position.

Instead of 7...Nb6, 7...Ne3 is very strong, threatening 8...Nf5.
    For example 7...Ne3. 8 Kb4 Nf5 9. Ka ble to end in Bd8 mate!

So I can't see a decisive advantage for black.

You did better!
    This idea was mentioned in my notes. It was not available as an option from the initial position, as my knight moved to b6 from d7.

From the initial position, white can respond to any threat black can generate. It's only after he weakens his position in an attempt to win that black develops winning chances.
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:34
    Thinking about this, I had a similar scenario in one of my past games on here.

Game 9526866

I was pretty much ahead throughout the game, but via a couple of blunders I allowed him to enter a position where he could have perpetual'd the game into a dead draw (around moves 47/48)... I was furious, and stated in a message how annoyed I was, and suggested the game was a draw.

But my opponent had other ideas, and said "Not so fast!"

And he went on to lose.

One lesson the game taught me (other than NOT to make stupid moves like move 41) is that players shouldn't get too greedy and try win from positions that just aren't winnable... it is simple, yet we all do it sometimes.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:46
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Thinking about this, I had a similar scenario in one of my past games on here.

Game 9526866

I was pretty much ahead throughout the game, but via a couple of blunders I allowed him to enter a position where he could have perpetual'd the game into a dead draw (around moves 47/48)... I was furious, and stated in a message how annoyed I was, ...[text shortened]... y win from positions that just aren't winnable... it is simple, yet we all do it sometimes.
    Excellent example, and worth sharing with a pgn, as the whole game is interesting.

These things happen when humans play humans. We have imperfect evaluations anyway, and it can be hard to adapt to changing circumstances on the board.

It's also easy to overestimate or underestimate our chances, or our opponents, or to be influenced by outside events completely unrelated to the game.

I think the best we can do is to step back at times and question/challenge our own assumptions, and see where it takes us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree