1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '13 22:44
    As years go by, I find it more and more difficult to win.

It seems I can win only if my oponent (ca. 200 rating points behind me) makaes a few blunders.

If we are even and struggles all the way to the ending, a game by the rule dissolves into a draw. Threefold repetition or something.

I am talking of OTB club games. And open tournaments.

I feel like a sort of Marcel Duchamp in his bad chess days... Maybe I need to endow my chess blunders and lost chances with some kind of - art?

I don't know why I started this thread. (Quick impulse after two dull /repetition-/draws in boring blitz games?)
  2. In attack
    Moves
    25 Jan '13 22:45
    Your record on RHP suggests otherwise 😉
  3. Joined
    29 Aug '11
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 15:261 edit
    Have you study endgame?
    We have some players in our chess club with exactly the same problem.
    Not surprisingly , all of them were endgame ignorants.
    One of them saw impressive results when he focused in endgames after consulting a very good GM.
    To be able to win a game you must be able to identify all winning possibilities.
    Most of the winning possibilities usually include the transition to a winning endgame.
    Sometimes , even attacks have to end with correct exchanges that will create a winning endgame.
  4. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 20:50
    You want to win. Challenge me.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '12
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 22:26
    You should study middlegames and endgames. Silman gives a great kickstart with his How to reassess your chess, where he explains how to make sense to your moves. After that book, I started to outplay my opponents. And I remember a 2300 once said to me after I asked him how he did improve. He said something like: ¨I had 1500 rating points. Then I read My System (Nimzowitch) and I had 2300.¨
    Nimzowitch explains everything, and Silman makes it possible to use it in my games. Thats the books I learned most of.
  6. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 01:41
    Originally posted by ViktorN
    And I remember a 2300 once said to me after I asked him how he did improve. He said something like: ¨I had 1500 rating points. Then I read My System (Nimzowitch) and I had 2300.¨
    Strange how that book has helped some players and did the opposite to others.

There are some players who say that My System has been the most harmful chess book they ever read.

It must depend on one's style of play I guess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree