1. Joined
    04 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 14:29
    I started a channel aimed at players who are not beginners but not at the Grand master level either. I see a lot of guides on teaching how to play basic chess and then the other extreme of lessons by Grand masters. However there is not really a path for in between.

For this I started a Youtube channel - to try and teach people for Kids of all ages does not matter if you are kid with grey hair. I know I am not a Ultimate Chess fighter, however I know I am good. So I want to try and bridge the gap.

So far I started recording myself annotating my games,
    I have started to try an demonstrate how to develop a chess mind and how to practice it even off the board.

I have started doing a daily game update where I record my self playing my games on RHP and I talk through what I am thinking, First I just say my thought process to give people a chance to see how I look ahead then for those that needed I use the analyze option to demonstrate what I said previously.

I used to help teach a Junior team before I moved to the US and I would love to adapt it to online.

I have already spoken to RHP - about possibly starting a Blog here tied to my channel.

However what I would like if possible is further topics for material that I can go over full credit would be given on any videos made from ideas or comments posted.

Things like.... Something you know now that you wish you knew before?
    things you discovered in your chess travels. I mean I am not too big headed to learn my self and think I know everything and there has to be lots of little tricks that you may know that I don't

and I would love to incorporate your ideas with the channel
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:18
    Endgame training, like:

- Knight with pawns vs Bishop with pawns

- Securing of key squares

- Solid pawn chains/islands

- Mating combinations (say 3-5 moves)

- Rook endings

Once you see scenarios like these pop up in your games, talk through what the plan of action should be, how to approach it, not move too fast, make a cuppa, watch a bit of telly, walk the dog etc 🙂
  3. Joined
    04 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:34
    Thank you I will add those to my list for sure.
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:411 edit
    Just saw the video on your profile:

YouTube

Edit: I saw you had initially missed the Philidor's legacy on move 11, then saw your annotation as well as the in-game chat lol
  5. Joined
    04 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 02:091 edit
    Here is a fresh video uploaded to show you a brief example . I had planned doing Daily game updates then at the week (or when I'm off from work) I will make video lessons on the topics listed.

With the daily Games, I record the entire process and I speak out loud so you hear what I am thinking. See how I look a head at possible threats. The previous videos already have me wondering how i miss moves so I am learning from my self. Which is a double bonus.

YouTube

In case you missed it, or it wasn't explained well enough. The puzzle is below. You playing as white from the perspective of black, White to Move and win.
    Game 10858483
  6. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 08:432 edits
    You mean white is playing from top of the board downwards? That's confusing if you look at the numbering of the ranks and files.

Is black's pawn on its home rank or on the 7th?
  7. Joined
    04 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 10:42
    The Black pawn is 1 move away from being a Queen.
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 19:51
    That one is kinda easy, but there are many times it will be used in endgames:
    Stop the pawn advance using the king, and black is left helpless.

Here's one for ya - White to play and win

9. Joined
    04 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '14 20:24
    yeah i know I wanted to start off with something easy for the first one. my blog went live over on the Blogs section so you can catch up there. I will work on your puzzle looks like a good one.
  10. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    30 Oct '14 04:271 edit
    Answer was Bf5+

If Black moves the King, White simply gains a piece.
    If Black takes the Bishop, White has mate starting with Qc6+

Puzzle taken from this game:- Game 10790736
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 21:451 edit
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Answer was Bf5+

[fen]2k5/4b3/3p4/B1p1pB1q/P1P3b1/1P2PQP1/5P2/4K3[/fen]

If Black moves the King, White simply gains a piece.
    If Black takes the Bishop, White has mate starting with Qc6+

Puzzle taken from this game:- Game 10790736
    looks like 4 moves, with mate given with Queen on B8. Right? Oh, saw another one with mate on A7 with queen depends on which way the king goes after the bishop check.
  12. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    03 Nov '14 00:042 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    looks like 4 moves, with mate given with Queen on B8. Right? Oh, saw another one with mate on A7 with queen depends on which way the king goes after the bishop check.
    Correct, mate in 4 finishing with Qb8
    or mate in 5 finishing with either Qa7 or Qxe7, depending on which way you move the bishop

But of course it's much quicker to resign 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree