1. Boston, MA
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 16:46
    ...specifically between the middle- and end games.

How are you gentlemen?

This, gentle commentators, is a game I played on ICC (for those of you who play on ICC, it was against the computer Tortoise, rated 1773 at the time)

It's somewhat long. I was hoping for a draw by the 50 move rule, but as it turns out, someone set us up the bomb, and I was mated.

My question for the group is: What are some general guidelines for transitioning into the endgame, and what, if any, material is there to study this aspect of the game. I'm not really looking for what I specifically did wrong in this game, or, rather, if you are going to point out specifics from this game, please explain what principle I've violated. For example, telling me that I took off every zig too quickly is all well and good, but I'd rather understand why it's wrong. That way me get signal.

I've not yet had a chance to review the above game in depth, so I don't know if I blundered away a won endgame or if I was lost in it from the start of it.
  2. Boston, MA
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 16:47
    Oh yeah, I'm black. That may help.
  3. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 18:20
    Move 40 you changed your plan from pushing your pawns forward to removing white's b pawn. I think that was your fatal mistake. The white b pawn kept both rooks immobilized leaving the kings and their pawns to battle it out. You had a pawn majority there so you had the advantage.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 18:481 edit
    move 25 I suggest, instead of e4:

25. ... Ra8 26. Bc3 Rxa4

and if 27. Bxe5 Re4 you win

and if not you have a much more confortable position...

my random impressions:
    apart from this, I don't really see the interest of exchanging bishops, I have the impression that you are wasting time.
    and once it is exchanged, I guess it should be draw for I don't see how he can promote his b pawn (he would need to bring his king, which seems difficult).
    I would say that your mistake is that you do not bring your king closer to your pawns when you push them... and this is how he (it) traps you... I guess that could be a rule of thumb: before pushing your pawns, bring you king close to them...

but I am not a reference in endings though...
  5. Boston, MA
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 22:11
    Originally posted by Macpo
    move 25 I suggest, instead of e4:

25. ... Ra8 26. Bc3 Rxa4

and if 27. Bxe5 Re4 you win

and if not you have a much more confortable position...

my random impressions:
    apart from this, I don't really see the interest of exchanging bishops, I have the impression that you are wasting time.
    and once it is exchanged, I guess it should be draw for I ...[text shortened]... your pawns, bring you king close to them...

but I am not a reference in endings though...
    Thanks for the responses.

I've looked into 25 ...Ra8 and I do think that it's the superior move. Even after 26. b4 c5 27. c3

And behold the majestic pawn-rricade, stolidly bearing down upon the enemy monarch .
  6. Joined
    28 Mar '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 08:24
    what about ..d4 in the diagrammed position? Doesn't black still wind up winning a pawn?

Phil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree