Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 24 Feb '15 20:48
    I just found this game for the first time. Enjoy



    Napolean vs Morphy
  2. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    25 Feb '15 01:20
    Brilliant!
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    25 Feb '15 03:16
    Notice how by move 11 Morphy has all four minor pieces and his queen in play, but his opponent has only managed to get two pieces out and castled. What is more one of white's developed pieces is about to be swapped off and this is in a gambit line where he has given up a pawn for rapid development.
  4. 25 Feb '15 10:05
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Notice how by move 11 Morphy has all four minor pieces and his queen in play, but his opponent has only managed to get two pieces out and castled. What is more one of white's developed pieces is about to be swapped off and this is in a gambit line where he has given up a pawn for rapid development.
    Yes. White however was more developed than many of morphy's opponents. LOL.
  5. 25 Feb '15 16:43
    Perhaps it's worth pointing out that White was a French-born American player called Napoleon Marache, rather than his more famous namesake, Napoleon Bonehead.
  6. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    25 Feb '15 16:46
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Perhaps it's worth pointing out that White was a French-born American player called Napoleon Marache, rather than his more famous namesake, Napoleon Bonehead.
    He still had to face his own Waterloo in that game though
  7. 25 Feb '15 18:13
    We know all about Morphy, how about his opponent, Napoleon Marache.

    Marache was born 3 years and 3 days after the Battle of Waterloo.
    This link is an excellent Wiki article (some do exists) on Marache written by a chess player.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Marache

    Napoleon Marache - Paul Morphy. New York, 1857

  8. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    25 Feb '15 20:01
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    We know all about Morphy, how about his opponent, Napoleon Marache.

    Marache was born 3 years and 3 days after the Battle of Waterloo.
    This link is an excellent Wiki article (some do exists) on Marache written by a chess player.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Marache

    Napoleon Marache - Paul Morphy. New York, 1857

    [pgn]
    [FEN "r1bqk1nr ...[text shortened]... ueen.} 19... Ng3 20. Qxg6 Nde2 {Very possibly the first pure two Knght mate in history.} [/pgn]
    Thanks for the annotation and the link. On move 15. ... dxc3 (shown as move 9 in your annotation), I'd thought it was to make a square for the knight I hadn't really seen the constriction of white's pieces.