Two women under one roof...

Two women under one roof...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Columbus, Ohio

Moves
12 Apr 09

Simple, slightly newb-ish question:

While there's obviously a method on RHP for promoting a pawn to a queen when you've already got one on the board, is this practice generally accepted in the larger chess world? While I've taken advantage of the ability on here in a few games, I've always felt a little guilty about it - like I'm bending the rules somehow.

Maybe I'm just a Puritan at heart, and the thought of a king with two honeys bothers me.

h

Moves
12 Apr 09

Over-the-board, when in need, you just grab your neighbour's Queen. 😵

R

Moves
12 Apr 09

Originally posted by hphovercraft

While there's obviously a method on RHP for promoting a pawn to a queen when you've already got one on the board, is this practice generally accepted in the larger chess world? While I've taken advantage of the ability on here in a few games, I've always felt a little guilty about it - like I'm bending the rules so ...[text shortened]...
Maybe I'm just a Puritan at heart, and the thought of a king with two honeys bothers me.
Nothing wrong with it.If it bothers you then call the 2nd one princess 😉

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
12 Apr 09

While there's obviously a method on RHP for promoting a pawn to a queen when you've already got one on the board, is this practice generally accepted in the larger chess world? While I've taken advantage of the ability on here in a few games, I've always felt a little guilty about it - like I'm bending the rules so ...[text shortened]...
Fischer-Petrosian, 1959.

A famous example of White AND Black having two queens.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1106430

It's certainly ok to promote to a queen if you've already got one.

N

The sky

Moves
12 Apr 09

Polygyny is perfectably acceptable in chess both here and elsewhere, including OTB. It might piss off your first queen though, so make sure she doesn't do anything stupid. Sometimes the two queens conspire against their king and turn a won game into a stalemate.

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
12 Apr 09

Kings past and present[princes included!]have/had a regular habit of maintaining a Queen and a mistress or mistresses at the same time,even going as far as marrying a mistress while still married to the official queen! If A King can have two or more women in his collection of females,then why can we not have the same on a chessboard? Or is that the priviledge of Kings and princes only??Is it a little King-ky??😲

t

Moves
12 Apr 09

Is she even called Queen in the majority of languages (or the founding language)?

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
12 Apr 09

A Lady? Ma'am? Your Majesty? witch ? bitch? or concubine? I guess any of these would be acceptable??🙄

h

Columbus, Ohio

Moves
13 Apr 09

This topic is heading in a rather pervy direction. I must say I approve.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Apr 09

Do NOT put the Bishop in there!

That place is for gerbils.

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
13 Apr 09

My own chessboard Queen has just been crowned Queen Perverina the 1st,making here position as leading lady quite clear. As Queen she is required to stay close to the King and ignore any advances by the bishops and Knights. The alternative is to have her head lopped off,very undesirable for any chess Queen?------😲

h

Columbus, Ohio

Moves
13 Apr 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Do NOT put the Bishop in there!

That place is for gerbils.
Awww yeah - I'd fill that fianchetto...

K

Germany

Moves
13 Apr 09

Originally posted by tamuzi
Is she even called Queen in the majority of languages (or the founding language)?
That's a good question. In Dutch the Queen is usually called Dame (Lady), but also sometimes Koningin (Queen).

o
Art is hard

Moves
13 Apr 09

Originally posted by tamuzi
in all european countries it translates to queen I think, at least in western europe

N

The sky

Moves
13 Apr 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
That's a good question. In Dutch the Queen is usually called Dame (Lady), but also sometimes Koningin (Queen).
It's Dame in German, too, and dronning (queen) in Norwegian. However, originally it was a vizier, and this term is still used in several non-European languages.

Here's a site about chess terms in different languages: http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/metro/9154/nap-pieces.htm