Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 06 Sep '06 05:25
    I am fairly new to tactics practice and am currently working my way through "The Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book" by John Emms. I am finding this book to be rather difficult. Would I be better off tackling Polgar's 5,334 Problems or some other tactics book? Thanks.
  2. 06 Sep '06 05:49
    Originally posted by basso
    I am fairly new to tactics practice and am currently working my way through "The Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book" by John Emms. I am finding this book to be rather difficult. Would I be better off tackling Polgar's 5,334 Problems or some other tactics book? Thanks.
    I dont have the Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book, so I don't know how difficult the problems are. How many moves are the solutions that you're having trouble with? I have the polgar book and if you need to practice mate in 1, mate in 2, or mate in 3, it is perfect for you.
  3. 06 Sep '06 11:15
    The Emms book is an excellent book and it is divided into chapters based on the level of difficulty. I'd suggest that you not move on to new chapters until you have a firm grasp on the previous ones. The first set of problems is not too difficult, and if you are having problems with those your best bet is to keep plugging away, they are about as basic as tactics get.
  4. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    06 Sep '06 17:08
    The book is way too hard, I think it's ment for someone 1900+ get sharpen your chess tactics instead
  5. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    06 Sep '06 17:10
    I dont like Polgars book, its quantity over quality. Get 1001 tricky checkmates instead that book teaches fundamental mating patterns that occur very frequently in chess games, read the art of checkmate first so you know all the patterns before you start the book
  6. 06 Sep '06 20:54
    Winning Chess Tactics by Gm Yasser Seirwan

Is the way to go in your case. After that you can pick up a puzzle book. The Polgar one is good but lengthy. You can find lots of free online puzzles.
  7. 08 Sep '06 01:15
    Well, I just got Polgar's 5334 Chess Problems. Kind of a big book, no? Anyway, it's a hell of a lot easier than Emms' book. I sailed through the first thirty problems in just a few minutes. I would stare at just one of Emms' problems for minutes at a time, often not solving the problem in the end. Polgar's easy approach is sure a lot more fun. Now I am wondering which one will prove to be the more valuable. I'm thinking Polgar now, Emms later.
  8. 08 Sep '06 02:51
    If you'd like to try software instead of books, I recommend Personal Chess Trainer - you can download and try the program, and see if you like it.

http://www.personalchesstrainer.com/

I just bought the program, and I'm happy with it so far.