Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    13 Feb '07 10:38
    If black has a pawn on say, h3, white can play g2-g4 without fearing en passant, right? I'm pretty sure the pawn would have to be on h4 for this rule to apply but i haven't actually had this position before...
  2. Standard member cludi
    Blogger
    13 Feb '07 10:41
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    If black has a pawn on say, h3, white can play g2-g4 without fearing en passant, right? I'm pretty sure the pawn would have to be on h4 for this rule to apply but i haven't actually had this position before...
    You're right. The en passant rule only applies with the black pawn on h4.
  3. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    13 Feb '07 10:50
    Originally posted by cludi
    You're right. The en passant rule only applies with the black pawn on h4.
    Thanks
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    13 Feb '07 11:06
    Originally posted by cludi
    You're right. The en passant rule only applies with the black pawn on h4.
    Or f4?!
  5. Standard member cludi
    Blogger
    13 Feb '07 12:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Or f4?!
    Surely
  6. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    13 Feb '07 12:58
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Or f4?!
    You don't miss a thing do you Xanth
  7. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    13 Feb '07 14:21
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    You don't miss a thing do you Xanth
    An easy way to think about it is this. When done right the 2 pawns were never in a position to attack each other. When that pawn was on the 3rd rank the white pawn could have taken it there, but decided to push past it.

    Pushing past a pawn when they never had a chance to attack each other is when the rule comes into play.

    P-
  8. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    13 Feb '07 15:16
    I find the explanation of the En Passant rule at http://www.rockfordchess.org/instruction/minilessons/EnPassant.PDF almost unmatched.
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    13 Feb '07 15:43
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I find the explanation of the En Passant rule at http://www.rockfordchess.org/instruction/minilessons/EnPassant.PDF almost unmatched.
    Yeh i would have looked but i was being lazy.