1. washington
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 17:39
    I think it is a combination of many things. playing people better than you will help if you learn why the moves were played. expierencing many games also helped. i've played around 4000 games in 2 years and my play skyrocketed, but i also read books to learn new concepts. not until i hit 1550 and learned how to use a successful minority attack did i learn its powerful nature until i used it in a game. different people excell in different ways. best of luck.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 06:46
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    ... not everyone can do it 10 moves deep like masters can..
    Unless every move is forced, probably very few masters can calculate ten moves deep.
  3. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 07:15
    what do you mean by a successful minority attack,can you say more?
  4. Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 10:292 edits
    Minority attack is in essence to most amateurs, an attack against a majority of pawns with a minority in the hope of creating weakness, holes and open files. ~ IM jeremy Silman
  5. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 10:39
    Thanks,well i am not too hot on that!!
  6. washington
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 15:05
    just knowing how to use the minority attack or even how to advance pawns in the middle game can mean the difference in several hundred points in my opinion.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 15:171 edit
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    it would seem we do not disagree, but both meant different things by the term "memory"
    yep. but the reason why I keep insisting on the difference between having excellent memory and learning things, is that having a good memory is a trait we're born with, but learning chunks is something anybody can do. the GMs have seen & done it all so many times, that almost any normal position triggers a reaction along the lines of "oh that ol' thing once again."

of course, when they encounter something unfamiliar, they have vastly superior skills to process that situation. but it's not about being born with superior memory, but instead about the amount & quality of hours they've put into it since the time they learned how the horsey hops.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 18:432 edits
    It takes a high IQ to play chess at master level plus, but having a high IQ does not mean you will be able to play chess well. Something else is involved.
  9. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 19:31
    i agree kmac27 can you recommend a book on this?
  10. washington
    Moves
    03 Sep '07 15:55
    I know yasser seirwans book on strategy talks about it and weaknesses of pawns, in winning chess strategy. and also josh waitzkin has a book called attacking chess but I found seirwans book to be better on that one subject, with regards to learning not brilliancy. Another book I think eveyrone should overview "not read extensivley" is pawn structure in chess by andrew soltis. very boring but helps you understand hte middle game much more. Hans kmoch also has a book called pawn power in chess. I don't like all the words he uses in the book he tries to make it simple but does nothing of the sort. I'd recomend yasser seirwans book, then pawn structure in chess, then pawn power in chess in that order if you are to get them. the level of expierence to comprehend these books progresses with each one.
  11. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    03 Sep '07 19:41
    Thanks for that!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree