1. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 02:08
    So, someone you've never heard of challenges you. Cool. But when you say hello, they remain silent. It's not like I want to chat during the game, but simply a courtesy. What's up? Have you experienced this? But really, it makes me even more determined to win the game.
  2. Mililani, Hawaii
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 02:35
    I, too, have encountered this, but after a while it didn't bother me anymore. I have found that many players return your greeting, but many, also, do not. It seems that there are those who want to become chess friends and will chat, but there are those who simply want to play chess and don't want to be distracted by chatting. So I don't take it personal anymore, but just start out being friendly and respond to the opponent as he or she wishes. There could also be a matter of language and not wanting to seem limited in whatever language the opponent uses. I just enjoy chess and any extra goodness that may come one's way.
  3. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 02:45
    Originally posted by Vince123
    I, too, have encountered this, but after a while it didn't bother me anymore. I have found that many players return your greeting, but many, also, do not. It seems that there are those who want to become chess friends and will chat, but there are those who simply want to play chess and don't want to be distracted by chatting. So I don't take it personal ...[text shortened]... guage the opponent uses. I just enjoy chess and any extra goodness that may come one's way.
    Yeah, it shouldn't bother me. I need to realize that some people may take the greeting as my intention to chat during the game.
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 04:43
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    So, someone you've never heard of challenges you. Cool. But when you say hello, they remain silent. It's not like I want to chat during the game, but simply a courtesy. What's up? Have you experienced this? But really, it makes me even more determined to win the game.
    Just remind yourself chit chat is OK, but we're here to play chess...that always works for me. 😏
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 07:02
    Some times im so caught up in a position that I forget to reply even though I usaully try to.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 16:19
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    I greet every player and will certainly return greetings. I will also answer questions and chat a little during a game.

However, I never accept challenges from people who don't also pm me to say hello and offer a game (or say so in the in game chat). I never challenge someone without explaining why I want to play against him specifically and appreciate when others do the same for me.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 16:34
    Originally posted by sh76
    I greet every player and will certainly return greetings. I will also answer questions and chat a little during a game.

However, I never accept challenges from people who don't also pm me to say hello and offer a game (or say so in the in game chat). I never challenge someone without explaining why I want to play against him specifically and appreciate when others do the same for me.
    That pretty well sums it up for me too. Use open seeks if you want to play strangers with no chat. When you challenge a particular player, be prepared with an explanation.

I've deleted many unsought challenges.
  8. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 00:59
    Originally posted by bill718
    Just remind yourself chit chat is OK, but we're here to play chess...that always works for me. 😏
    Good point...and I don't necessarily want to chat, but just to be courteous. So, do you return greetings?
  9. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 01:00
    Originally posted by thadeusman
    Some times im so caught up in a position that I forget to reply even though I usaully try to.
    That's probably why some people don't reply. But I've had times where I've tried to say hello a second time and no reply. But ya know, it makes it even sweeter when (and if) I checkmate them. 😉
  10. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 01:01
    Thank you for your comments, sh76 and Wulebgr...I like your philosophies. Thanks to everyone for their comments. 🙂
  11. Joined
    31 Jan '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 21:02
    maybe yo boring,
  12. Joined
    31 Jan '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 21:03
  13. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 21:07
    werd
  14. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 00:23
    Originally posted by joey dixon
    maybe yo boring,
    Perhaps, to some. But I don't know how you could tell that by a greeting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree