1. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 18:39
    I've noticed that chess analysts and players sometimes use terminology and vocabulary in a slightly strange way. The term 'unpleasant', for example, is used with an incredibly high frequency compared with normal usage in English. I wonder if anyone can think of any reasons for this: if this is some kind of linguistic influence from Russian or something like that.
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 21:452 edits
    I suspect that it was used by a very popular early writer, e.g. Fred Reidfeld, and other writers have picked up the expression from there.

The earliest reference I can find for "unpleasant position" being used in a chessic way is from 1862 in volume 6 of The Chess Player's Chronicle:
    "White is already in an unpleasant position; but the move in the text, though it creates two weak spots at White's QB3 and K3, seems to have been necessary, as he could no longer delay the development of his piece on the Q side. "
  3. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 13:441 edit
    It could well come from that I suppose. For some reason I always hear this word in my head with a Russian accent.

Other strange ones: "to make a draw" seems ungrammatical in any other context. Also, even though it's pleasantly descriptive, it's weird to calll a move 'quiet'. 'Brilliancy' is not normally used countably and, as an award in real life, would surely only be given to the sun.
  4. Joined
    30 Mar '13
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 17:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    30 Mar '13
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 17:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 23:35
    Originally posted by pootstick
    It could well come from that I suppose. For some reason I always hear this word in my head with a Russian accent.

Other strange ones: "to make a draw" seems ungrammatical in any other context. Also, even though it's pleasantly descriptive, it's weird to calll a move 'quiet'. 'Brilliancy' is not normally used countably and, as an award in real life, would surely only be given to the sun.
    I can confirm that all 3 terms - 'unpleasant position", "to make a draw" and "a quiet move" have direct analogs in Russian chess terminology and are, probably, literal translations into English. "Brilliancy", though, is not in that category.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree