Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Jun '07 19:31
    Looking at some of these high rated matches I can never work out why they are over. For example:

    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1462304

    How is that a victory for white? I must be missing something, but it looks to me like black, while maybe not in the best postion, has hardly lost the game. And why 34. c3?
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jun '07 19:54 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Looking at some of these high rated matches I can never work out why they are over. For example:

    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1462304

    How is that a victory for white? I must be missing something, but it looks to me like black, while maybe not in the best postion, has hardly lost the game. And why 34. c3?
    When white made that one pawn move (c3), that blocked any attack on the white pawn threatening promotion at b. White now trades Rook for Rook, and black has no way to stop the pawn from promoting. White will now be up with a queen and bishop against the Rook.

    P-


    Black to move

    (Actually, there may be no bishop left on the board if black decides to trade his rook for the rook and bishop, but black still can't guard against the promotion of the pawn to a queen. I treated this as white to move.. )
  3. 07 Jun '07 19:56
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Looking at some of these high rated matches I can never work out why they are over. For example:

    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1462304

    How is that a victory for white? I must be missing something, but it looks to me like black, while maybe not in the best postion, has hardly lost the game. And why 34. c3?
    I was keeping track of this game, I think black ruined it by not resigning after Rxf7!, the rook can't be taken because the b-pawn will advance, and the king shouldn't move either. c3 prevents black from getting on the b-file and behind the pawn. A very nice game all around
  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    07 Jun '07 19:56 / 1 edit
  5. 07 Jun '07 20:14
    Ah makes perfect sence now.
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jun '07 20:15
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Ah makes perfect sence now.
    See my edit... I messed up a bit treating this game as white to move... but it's still a lost game for Black.

    P-
  7. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jun '07 20:30 / 1 edit
    Here is an interesting thing for you to consider. What is White's best move now?


    Black is trying to capture the pawn, what is white's best move?
  8. 07 Jun '07 20:31
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    See my edit... I messed up a bit treating this game as white to move... but it's still a lost game for Black.

    P-
    Yeah I noticed that, but couldn't see a move that black could do to drastically alter the situation.
  9. 07 Jun '07 20:32
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Here is an interesting thing for you to consider. What is White's best move now?

    [fen]1r4k1/5R1p/pPp2p2/8/P4r2/1BP4P/6PK/8 w - - [/fen]
    Black is trying to capture the pawn, what is white's best move?
    to ask black why they didn't resign yet, then slap them
  10. 07 Jun '07 20:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Here is an interesting thing for you to consider. What is White's best move now?

    [fen]1r4k1/5R1p/pPp2p2/8/P4r2/1BP4P/6PK/8 w - - [/fen]
    Black is trying to capture the pawn, what is white's best move?
    R b7!
  11. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jun '07 23:19
    Originally posted by Patzergrl
    to ask black why they didn't resign yet, then slap them
    Yes, this is by far the best move in this position.

    P-
  12. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    07 Jun '07 23:19
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    R b7!
    Yes, this is by far the best move in this position.

    P-
  13. 08 Jun '07 08:09
    Yeah, I'd go with either.
  14. 08 Jun '07 08:42
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Game 1462304
    What this User 53095 still have a star? (last moved 477 days ago, is he still paying? or is it a 'bug'?)