Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 19 Jul '08 15:40
    That's right!Let me say it again: Vienna Gambit;Hamppe-Allgaier-Thorold Gambit.That name alone deserves a post.Ha!
    Seriously,I was playing over this game.At the end it felt like I got run over by a truck.I don't think I understand anything of what happened.Some brave soul wants to try add some notes?Or maybe someone has this game with annotations?Would be nice.

Sidenote: I have a book on the vienna featuring this game(not annotated) and it gives it as played in Corpus Christi,1947.This pgn I got from chessgames.com gives it as played in Hollywood,1944.Yet another task for E.Winter!
  2. 19 Jul '08 15:58
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    That's right!Let me say it again: Vienna Gambit;Hamppe-Allgaier-Thorold Gambit.That name alone deserves a post.Ha!
    Seriously,I was playing over this game.At the end it felt like I got run over by a truck.I don't think I understand anything of what happened.Some brave soul wants to try add some notes?Or maybe someone has this game with annotations?Would b ...[text shortened]... gives it as played in Hollywood,1944.Yet another task for E.Winter!
    Just briefly, I found 2 games with Capablanca playing the black side of this from 1901. Just from looking at the database it seems like white has more success with 9.Bxf4 instead of 9.exd5 (and also 8.Bc4+ is more popular than 8.d4). After 9.exd5 black should probably play 9...Qe7+ a la Capablanca. It all seems very very random to me though, and I wouldn't want to play either side against anyone who had run it properly through an engine : )

I've never played either side of 5.h4, I always preferred 5.d4. (The Scottish GM Paul Motwani played this with a lot of success, although I think it might have been 'refuted'?!).

Anyway, Greenpawn will probably know of this Hampot-Bampot-Gambit variation, he has all the old books...hope this helps a little.
  3. 19 Jul '08 17:10
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    Just briefly, I found 2 games with Capablanca playing the black side of this from 1901. Just from looking at the database it seems like white has more success with 9.Bxf4 instead of 9.exd5 (and also 8.Bc4+ is more popular than 8.d4). After 9.exd5 black should probably play 9...Qe7+ a la Capablanca. It all seems very very random to me though, and I woul ...[text shortened]... of this Hampot-Bampot-Gambit variation, he has all the old books...hope this helps a little.
    Yeah,8.Bc4+ makes a lot more sense to me.Still a crazy line though.I don't think there's a winning attack.If black defends well it probably comes down to an endgame with 3 or 4 pawns vs a piece.Or 5-6 pawns vs a piece + 2 pawns.I'd be willing to try that.
    Intresting stuff.