1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 19:20
    The thing is Magnus is a different opponent with a different style and I could not figure him out. He also has a radical approach to chess and I couldn't find him out though I tried a strategy to neutralise his stronger points and it didn't work," Anand admitted.

"I did play aggressive chess but Carlsen has made a career for himself by playing imposing chess. He is a versatile and diversed player with lot of resources and at times I forced him into aggressive position but couldn't manage to bring him out of his comfort zone," Anand said.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/i-was-outplayed-by-carlsen-says-viswanathan-anand/436862-5-23.html
  2. e4
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 21:15
    "....but couldn't manage to bring him out of his comfort zone,"

I think Vishy is right. But there are other players out there who might fair better.
    Hungry players.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 21:221 edit
    I thought both players played incredibly safe chess. After all, wasn't that the reason for those draws? I didn't see much aggressive or "radical"chess.
  4. e4
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 21:46
    After the first handful of dipping toes into the water the match took off.

Riskless chess was to be expected with such a short match.
    Financially it may be the future.
    First to 6 wins and no one knows when it will end.
    The Moscow Marathon proved to an embarrassing financial disaster.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 21:47
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "....but couldn't manage to bring him out of his comfort zone,"

I think Vishy is right. But there are other players out there who might fair better.
    Hungry players.
    Anand states that Carlsen has made a career of desert dry 'technical positions', whatever that means, that he plays long games knowing that his opponent may make some mistake upon which he will capitalise. A kind of risk free chess, which is really quite interesting. Yes there are other players, Karjakin, Caruana who will challenge hopefully.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 21:50
    Originally posted by vivify
    I thought both players played incredibly safe chess. After all, wasn't that the reason for those draws? I didn't see much aggressive or "radical"chess.
    Yes, I have to admit that i got thoroughly bored with this world championship and did not even watch games nine and ten.
  7. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 03:08
    I think Kramnik will be the next challenger. Just think about it, if this years candidates had gone slightly differently (Like if the tiebreak was least loses instead of most wins.) then there is no doubt in my mind that Kramnik would have been this years WC.

With the way he was playing at the candidates and with his match experience, I think he will be able to give magnus a good run. If he gets the chance.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 09:10
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I think Kramnik will be the next challenger. Just think about it, if this years candidates had gone slightly differently (Like if the tiebreak was least loses instead of most wins.) then there is no doubt in my mind that Kramnik would have been this years WC.

With the way he was playing at the candidates and with his match experience, I think he will be able to give magnus a good run. If he gets the chance.
    My hope is that it will be one of the young guys, but you may be correct, Anands attempts with 1.e4 were easily thwarted and clearly he got the strategy for the match all wrong, perhaps someone like Kramnik really would do better, someone that likes endgames and plays them really well.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Dec '13 11:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    My hope is that it will be one of the young guys, but you may be correct, Anands attempts with 1.e4 were easily thwarted and clearly he got the strategy for the match all wrong, perhaps someone like Kramnik really would do better, someone that likes endgames and plays them really well.
    What is MC's score vs Kramnik?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree