1. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 12:08
    If you want to increase your rating for OTB chess, please DON'T use analyze bord, it will really decrease your calculating capacity. But if you like correspondence, than analyze bord is a feature you really should use!
  2. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 12:171 edit
    I don't agree :-) I really don't... Here's my reasons:

(1) You still need to analyse the leaf position further in your head - with analyse board you basically just get more positions to analyze in your head.

(2) You get the opportunity to investigate a far greater tree by combining board analysis with head analysis. This will require far more evaluation from you part as you need to decide the better move from a much larger selection.

(3) Is board analysis really that different than analyzing the game afterwards? The only difference here is that you do it while-in-play.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. Is there someone here who's OTB play has really become worse since starting correspondence chess? ...I think they should be similar.
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 12:21
    Originally posted by Wumpus
    Well... that's what we do with OTB play. By playing the moves by hand, you can easily analyse much deeper into the search tree.
    And that was my point. Don't you think an analysis board might be a little counterproductive to your otb play actually? After the game I will analyze a gamedeeply by moving the pieces. But, (for the most part) not during the game.
  4. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 12:29
    I experienced it myself. I was so happy I could just move the pieces around before making a move on RHP, that OTB, I couldn't visualize a position 3 moves deep. I really think that calculating without moving the pieces improves your OTB play and that using the analyze bord feature COULD be harmful.
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 12:54
    Originally posted by Garnoth
    I experienced it myself. I was so happy I could just move the pieces around before making a move on RHP, that OTB, I couldn't visualize a position 3 moves deep. I really think that calculating without moving the pieces improves your OTB play and that using the analyze bord feature COULD be harmful.
    Ha, I didn't even see your previous post. And I wholeheartedly agree.
  6. washington
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 21:32
    terrible advice. Using the analyze board feature is not a good thing to use. It stunts your chess growth with the ability to see the moves. It will soon be a crutch and when you are trying to analyze over the board games you will regret using the future. Use your mind then double check with the analyze board feature to see if you were right only after you have done deep calculation.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 00:14
    Originally posted by kmac27
    terrible advice. Using the analyze board feature is not a good thing to use. It stunts your chess growth with the ability to see the moves. It will soon be a crutch and when you are trying to analyze over the board games you will regret using the future. Use your mind then double check with the analyze board feature to see if you were right only after you have done deep calculation.
    I don't think this is the case generally. People are different. For me it is just as easy to move the pieces on the board as it is to move them in my head. It has always been that way. Chess improvement for me has just been understanding... Some through pattern recognition and some through reading books. I think anybody can calculate if they weren't too lazy. Some people play a game of chess and their brain doesn't hurt afterwards. If you play a proper and serious game of chess it takes proper and serious thinking that should cause your brain to hurt.
  8. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 06:50
    No offense guys - but I'm waiting for the opinion of a 2000+ player. I am not so sure (s)he'll agree with the mainstream view here.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 06:52
    Originally posted by kmac27
    You say 'crutch' like it's a bad thing. I see nothing wrong with a player using the analyze board to get in the habit of doing more actual analysis before moving. You must walk before you run.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 07:16
    No offense guys - but I'm waiting for the opinion of a 2000+ player. I am not so sure (s)he'll agree with the mainstream view here.
    The 2000+ player on here might not be so good OTB and their opinion isn't fact if they are. You should just go with your own opinion. Chess imrovement is like a mountain with a thousand different paths to the top and a thousand more that don't go to the top. So whatever works for you is the path you should take.
  11. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 08:051 edit
    Perhaps - but I am almost convinced that any 2000+ correspondence player (like SwissGambit, for example :-)) will walk over me OTB - regardless of the time control.

But, tomtom, I get your point as well. What I will try from now on is to investigate the position in my head and confirm with analyze board.
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 08:15
    Is a 2025 rating on chess.com good enough for you? I play correspondence chess like it is an otb game as well.
  13. The Smoke
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 09:511 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Chess imrovement is like a mountain with a thousand different paths to the top and a thousand more that don't go to the top. So whatever works for you is the path you should take.
    now, that sounds like a Buddhist mantra ! 😉
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 10:05
    Originally posted by Renars
    now, that sounds like a Buddhist mantra ! 😉
    Buddha must have been a very smart person then. 😀
  15. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 10:181 edit
    erikido, yes... I have respect for a player that can maintain a 2000+ rating. (I have to take your word for it though, I see you have no correspondence rating here yet.) I'm having a rather difficult time just to break 1600. So what is your opinion? Is analyze board a bad idea?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree