1. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 12:06
    My rating is around 1000. I have Weapons of Chess and love it especially Pandolfini's chapters on pawns.

What other good books has he written that might help me?

grit
  2. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 17:31
    Pandolfini's...."Complete Endgame Course"
  3. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 17:36
    Originally posted by chessiswar
    Pandolfini's...."Complete Endgame Course"
    Isn't that Silman's?
  4. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 17:39
    Nah...Pandolfini published his a long time ago.

It's for people who are new to chess, up to 1400
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 19:57
    Actually, Pandolfini's endgame book is titled Pandolfini's Endgame Course, not Complete Endgame Course, which I believe is the title of Silman's book.

I recommend the Pandolfini book, but there are several instances in which the diagrammed position is wrong. I think that Pandolfini has a website or a blog or something where you can get a list of the typos and their corrections.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 20:22
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Actually, Pandolfini's endgame book is titled Pandolfini's Endgame Course, not Complete Endgame Course, which I believe is the title of Silman's book.

I recommend the Pandolfini book, but there are several instances in which the diagrammed position is wrong. I think that Pandolfini has a website or a blog or something where you can get a list of the typos and their corrections.
    Here's an errata list to PEC:

http://www.glennwilson.com/chess/books/pec_errata.html
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 22:23
    Originally posted by grit
    My rating is around 1000. I have Weapons of Chess and love it especially Pandolfini's chapters on pawns.

What other good books has he written that might help me?

grit
    I'm most of the way through Pandolfini's Endgame Course. (Must...finish...the...book.) I thought it was okay. I didn't much care for his occasional use of highfalutin five dollar words when they weren't really necessary, but I guess that's nitpicking.

I liked the discussions of critical squares of pawns - that really helped me. I didn't much care for the endless rook-and-pawn positions. After the Lucena and Philidor, I thought many of the other R&P positions were sort of pointless. (Maybe I'm missing something - Am I really supposed to know all of those R&P positions in the book?)

I haven't read Pandolfini's book "The Winning Way", but Heisman recommends it for basic opening patterns and traps. I don't think Heisman is real big on novices spending too much time on openings, so it must be decent if Dan recommends it.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 18:28
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I'm most of the way through Pandolfini's Endgame Course. (Must...finish...the...book.) I thought it was okay....

I didn't much care for the endless rook-and-pawn positions. After the Lucena and Philidor, I thought many of the other R&P positions were sort of pointless. (Maybe I'm missing something - Am I really supposed to know all of those R&P positions in the book?)
    Since R+P endings are so very common, knowing all those positions in the book would probably be a good thing.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 21:131 edit
    Since R+P endings are so very common, knowing all those positions in the book would probably be a good thing.
    Maybe you're right - I did know that R&P endings are the most common. It's just that I was trying to sift out some principles (beyond the obvious like active rooks, and rooks behind advanced pawns) from all of the R&P positions in the book and was fairly unsuccessful at it. It just seemed to be a lot of random positions that I'd never remember, and after a while I started getting an impression of "gee, more filler material thrown into the book". But after I finish the book, I'll make a second pass through it. Maybe more of it will stick next time.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 22:06
    Maybe you're right - I did know that R&P endings are the most common. It's just that I was trying to sift out some principles (beyond the obvious like active rooks, and rooks behind advanced pawns) from all of the R&P positions in the book and was fairly unsucessful at it. It just seemed to be a lot of random positions that I'd never remember, and after a w ...[text shortened]... inish the book, I'll make a second pass through it. Maybe more of it will stick next time.
    Edmar Mednis wrote a nice little book on R+P endings back in the 1980's. You can probably find it cheap on http://www.amazon.com
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 22:201 edit
    Edmar Mednis wrote a nice little book on R+P endings back in the 1980's. You can probably find it cheap on http://www.amazon.com
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm guessing you're referring to "Practical Rook Endings" by Mednis and published by Chess Enterprises.

Yeah, there are a number of them I could try down the road. I just thought that Pandolfini's endgame book would be a good one to start on endgames.

Edit - Ah, OK, just looked at the Amazon reviews. If I can believe them (sometimes too gushy), although the Mednis book is short on pages, it contains a lot of ideas. Might just work for me. Thanks again.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 01:52
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm guessing you're referring to "Practical Rook Endings" by Mednis and published by Chess Enterprises.

Yeah, there are a number of them I could try down the road. I just thought that Pandolfini's endgame book would be a good one to start on endgames.

Edit - Ah, OK, just looked at the Amazon reviews. If I can believe them (s ...[text shortened]... s book is short on pages, it contains a lot of ideas. Might just work for me. Thanks again.
    I recommended the Mednis book because it is short and to the point.
  13. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 20:07
    I'm here at the local library and I just bought "The Chess Doctor" by Pandolfini. (I obviously haven't read it yet)

It was in the used-book section, and I bought it for $2.00

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this book?
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 20:31
    Pandolfini's Chess Complete covers a lot of answers to basic questions about all things chess related, rather than being an analysis/exercise book. If you're not sure of rules or the reasoning behind strategies and positions then this book is worth a look.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree