1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 07:13
    I've been hearing chess is a sport, art, science, or even a simple game. What is chess? Why?
  2. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 07:40
    It really depends on if you're winning or losing.
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 07:55
    Originally posted by artplayer
    I've been hearing chess is a sport, art, science, or even a simple game. What is chess? Why?
    It's chess.
  4. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 08:40
    It's a game, but not a simple one. Like all the best games it's easy to learn to play it, but immensely difficult to play it well. It's no more a sport than are darts or tiddlywinks.
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 09:46
    It's a lifestyle.
  6. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 00:01
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    It's a lifestyle.
    ^.^ I wouldn't go that far but it definetly isnt a sport or a simple game
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 00:40
    Originally posted by ChessBaller
    ^.^ I wouldn't go that far but it definetly isnt a sport or a simple game
    You mean it isn't so much considered a sport now. My dad tells me that in the 70s it was viewed as a sport, albeit a mental one. Maybe that view has changed over the years.
  8. washington
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 00:44
    chess is like poker easy to learn and hard as hell to master. although the payout is higher in poker but so are the losses ;-)
  9. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 01:07
    Originally posted by artplayer
    You are truly an American. Typical Americans like to categorize in an either or style. I believe that chess is all of the above and more. The beauty of chess is that we all find different things in the 8x8 world. Some people like the hard facts. To some they like all the possibilities. Can you find beauty in a well fought loss? Some of my favorite games I played were losses that had all the plot twists and turns that my favorite books have had. Other people project the real world onto the board and are able to "live" in a place where they and their antagonist fight for absolute power. Chess will give you what you take from it! I suggest reading "The Immortal Game". I think you will find some of the answers you are looking for.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    You are truly an American. Typical Americans like to categorize in an either or style.
    If I wasn't such a simplistic American, I'd swear that that statement is somewhat snobbish and elitist. But then, none of us Americans knows anything...
  11. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 01:40
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    If I wasn't such a simplistic American, I'd swear that that statement is somewhat snobbish and elitist. But then, none of us Americans knows anything...
    Why do you think its a negative statement? Its what I observe on a daily basis. I have theories about why the American outlook differs from the European. My statement has nothing to do with intelligence, its simply how peoples minds work. There is a difference between eastern and western philosophies; that doesn't mean one is "better" than the other, but they do have observable differences. My statement isn't an attack, and I didn't say anything about simple. I am sorry you are sensitive to the issue, and perhaps a trifle argumentative. By the way I am an American.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 01:44
    You are truly an American. Typical Americans like to categorize in an either or style. I believe that chess is all of the above and more. The beauty of chess is that we all find different things in the 8x8 world. Some people like the hard facts. To some they like all the possibilities. Can you find beauty in a well fought loss? Some of my favorite ...[text shortened]... reading "The Immortal Game". I think you will find some of the answers you are looking for.
    As a typical American who likes to categorize in an either/or style, I think your reply, in the sense of being either a good reply or a bad reply, was a good reply. 😉 I too enjoyed David Shenk's excellent book, especially since the author, though truly an American, painted a complete picture and resisted the inherent urge to categorize.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 02:12
    I am sorry you are sensitive to the issue...
    I think most people are sensitive to an issue when you begin to generalize. As soon as you use the word "typical" you are walking on thin ice. I'm sure you know that.
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 02:49
    Typical Americans like to categorize in an either or style.

I have theories about why the American outlook differs from the European. My statement has nothing to do with intelligence, its simply how peoples minds work. There is a difference between eastern and western philosophies; that doesn't mean one is "better" than the other, but they do have observable differences.
    Yep, typical Yank.😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree