1. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 09:541 edit

should I have played 5...c5? What about 13...a4?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 06:24
    Originally posted by hamworld
    [pgn][Event "rated standard match"] [Site "fics2.freechess.org"] [Date "2013.07.21"] [Round "?"] [White "jjamesge"] [Black "thekingofham"] [Result "*"] [BlackElo "2400"] [ECO "E61"] [Opening "King's Indian"] [Variation "4.Nf3 O-O 5.e3 d6 6.Be2"] [WhiteElo "2400"] [TimeControl "900+5"] [Termination "unterminated"] [PlyCount "51"] [WhiteType "human"] [BlackTy ...[text shortened]...

5...c5 is keeping within the idea of the defense in attacking White's center. It especially looks good if White should take the pawn opening up the long diagonal for Black's fianchettoed bishop and the pawn can easily be regained by Na6 and Nxc5 or Qa5+ and Qxc5 or Ne5 etc. But he will probably play 6.d5 as he did later when you attacked it with 8...e5

I think 13...a4 14. Qxb7 Rb8 15. Qa6 Rxb2 looks good.

The Instructor
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 08:34
    [pgn][Event "rated standard match"] [Site "fics2.freechess.org"] [Date "2013.07.21"] [Round "?"] [White "jjamesge"] [Black "thekingofham"] [Result "*"] [BlackElo "2400"] [ECO "E61"] [Opening "King's Indian"] [Variation "4.Nf3 O-O 5.e3 d6 6.Be2"] [WhiteElo "2400"] [TimeControl "900+5"] [Termination "unterminated"] [PlyCount "51"] [WhiteType "human"] [BlackTy ...[text shortened]...

What is so horrible about white's position he had to resign?
  4. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 09:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He said "It wasn't fun anymore. I can't win or draw." I think that was the first time I've ever won a game that way. He can still fight back with 26. Qb3 or play 26. Kh1

RJHinds the c5 move looks fun. I might try that next time.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 09:432 edits
    I thought you played a pretty good game. I particularly liked 22. ... f4, I think Black is winning after that.

However I wasn't so sure about your play on the queenside. Did you consider trying to get a knight to c5? Usually that's why Black plays a5 in the Kings Indian, so that a knight on c5 can't be kicked easily with b2-b4.

The Kings Indian is very flexible and there are lots of ways of playing it. Personally I'm happiest when the centre is blocked up (i.e. White has played d5) and his queenside counterplay is slow or non-existent. I certainly wouldn't have tried c7-c6 at that stage in the game. I would have left that sort of thing for later if the kingside attack failed.

I'm not sure how I would have continued at the end. Perhaps Bd7 and then go for g4 and if Nh4 then go for f3, Bh6 and Bg5, then perhaps pushing the h-pawn if the knight on h4 moves back to g2.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 09:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I believe White saw his last move as a mistake that might lose his undefended knight after Black attacks and pins it with 26...Bg4. If White goes back with 27.Be2 fxg3 opens the f-file for Black putting two more pieces on the knight and if the knight tries to get out of the way, then he would be Checkmated.

The Instructor
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 10:00
    " I think that was the first time I've ever won a game that way. He can still fight back with 26. Qb3 or play 26. Kh1

First time, out of only two?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 10:14
    He said "It wasn't fun anymore. I can't win or draw." I think that was the first time I've ever won a game that way. He can still fight back with 26. Qb3 or play 26. Kh1

I think he should have waited before resigning to see if you might trade bishops.

The Instructor
  9. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 12:28
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I thought you played a pretty good game. I particularly liked 22. ... f4, I think Black is winning after that.

However I wasn't so sure about your play on the queenside. Did you consider trying to get a knight to c5? Usually that's why Black plays a5 in the Kings Indian, so that a knight on c5 can't be kicked easily with b2-b4.

The Kings Indian is ver ...[text shortened]... for f3, Bh6 and Bg5, then perhaps pushing the h-pawn if the knight on h4 moves back to g2.
    A knight to c5? Like, 9...Nb8, then 10...Na6 then 11...Nc5? That idea never occured to me. I apparently did not realize my knight could go to b8(how silly of me) If White plays e4 at one point, perhaps I could play Nh4, then to Nf4 to go for the bishop pair and then play f5? What about playing 12...a4 and then playing Nb3 to take advantage of the b3 hole?
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 14:021 edit
    A knight on c5 is a very common idea in the King's Indian. There is a video about it here:
    YouTube
    I have no idea how good this is as I am at work so can't watch it with sound on at the moment!

Try looking for King's Indian games on chessgames.com. It is such a rich defence that you might get a bit confused about the completely different ways that masters have played it in the past. The secret is to find games which seem logical to you, in other words ones which you could imagine yourself playing if only you could stop blundering and had ten times as long to think about the moves! Then try to emulate the ideas from those games in your own games.

The first time I saw a game where Black played a5, Na6 and Nc5 I was blown away about how wonderful the knight was on that square and now try to play it myself whenever I can, even in positions where it is completely inappropriate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree