1. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 02:16
    Seriously, what is "romantic" chess? I heard something like there was an era of chess so called romantic and it involves players giving sacrifices and thier oponent must accept it or it will be considered rude. Is it something like that? It sounds really interesting. I want to be a "romantic" chess player now. Somebody please tell me how.

🙂
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 02:32
    You've got the right idea. It's an era of wild tactics and relentless attack even when such an approach is unsound.
  3. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 02:33
    does that mean if i offer you a sacrifice you will always accept it??

maybe we should play sometimes 😉
  4. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 03:21
    Oh yeah baby, cause I am romantic.
  5. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 03:26
    lol, tell me, have you ever heard of legal....
  6. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 03:34
    No. What's that?
  7. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 03:51
    Lol, now i definatly want to play, lol, legals mate is a nice little mate in 7 with a few very nice sacrifices in it.

example:

[Event "Open"]
    [Site "Bad Woerishofen GER"]
    [Date "2001.03.22"]
    [EventDate "2001.03.15"]
    [Round "8"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "O Bjarnason"]
    [Black "Volkfried Dittler"]
    [ECO "A00"]
    [WhiteElo "2163"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "14"]

1. Nc3 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. e4 Bg4 4. Bc4 Bh5 5. Nxe5 Bxd1 6. Bxf7+ Ke7 7. Nd5+
    1-0
  8. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 03:53
    I think there's a big difference between dumb chess and romantic chess.
  9. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 03:581 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    ...even when such an approach is unsound.

Originally posted by stanloh
    it involves players giving sacrifices and thier oponent must accept it or it will be considered rude.
    Do these things sound particularly smart to you??? 😉

When you have to accept a sac or when you have to attack relentlessly even when it is unsound i think it is by default not a very smart way to play chess.
  10. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 04:00
    Originally posted by stanloh
    Seriously, what is "romantic" chess? I heard something like there was an era of chess so called romantic and it involves players giving sacrifices and thier oponent must accept it or it will be considered rude. Is it something like that? It sounds really interesting. I want to be a "romantic" chess player now. Somebody please tell me how.

🙂
    Its the romantic era. Blackburne etc. The time when to not accept a gambit was considered unmanly, roaarrrrr, the time before all this nansy pansy crap about pawn stucture, when you mate, game over chaa ching. Over protection, pahhhh if I gambit the blasted pawns then I wont have to use a whole god damn rook looking after the little critters, rooks attack kings not protect pawns. rrrrooooooooarrrrrrrrrr.
  11. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 04:02
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Its the romantic era. Blackburne etc. The time when to not accept a gambit was considered unmanly, roaarrrrr, the time before all this nansy pansy crap about pawn stucture, when you mate, game over chaa ching. Over protection, pahhhh if I gambit the blasted pawns then I wont have to use a whole god damn rook looking after the little critters, rooks attack kings not protect pawns. rrrrooooooooarrrrrrrrrr.
    I just had to rec that 'hockey fan' response 😀

helps put me in the right state of mind to understand that kind of play 😉
  12. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 04:10
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Now, that gives me an idea of what the romantic era is about.
  13. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 09:49
    For your information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_chess
  14. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 11:53
    "Romantic" chess is an attempt by scholars to make chess style fit into a literary pigeonhole of the same time, like romantic poetry or romantic music, which hearkened back to the romances of the middle ages. Chess players like Blackburn and Macdonnell (I know im not getting these names right) thought sacrificing was an efficient way to win the game. And in many cases it was. Believe me, if any chessplayer, including the above, thought pushing pawns would win the game, they would push pawns. If you played over some of the games of Harrwitz, Staunton, etc. (aside from weak opening theory) you'd think they were played yesterday.
  15. Joined
    23 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '06 12:40
    Romantic chess is sooooo 1600s.

Romantic chess was the style of chess prevalent from the 1600's through the late 1800's.

My favorites ======
    Player - Bobby Fischer
    Chess software - Top Score Chess clock FREE from http://BreakthruSoftware.com
    Game style - Game/30 with 5 sec delay

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree