1. Joined
    04 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 17:133 edits
    It will soon be my birthday so I'm starting to get asked what I want and I aready have enough chess boards to cover all the floors in my home!

I currently have in my collection:

Software;

Chessmaster 10,
    Ct art 3.0

Books;
    Art of checkmate, Renaud and Kahn
    The amateurs mind, Silman
    The Art of the middle game, Keres
    Winning chess tactics, seirawan
    Logical chess move by move, Chernev
    Streetfighting chess, Burnett
    1001 winning chess Sacrifices and combinations+1001 brilliant ways to checkmate, Reinfeld
    and MCO

I still have plenty of work to do on all the above (just look at my games and you will see ALOT of work needed!) I have been playing now for about 18 months. Im also about to join a chess club and start on my masters so my game load will be shrinking and I want to put more and get more out of each game I play. So any advice on what to invest in next? What would be of the most benfit?

And just to finish off here one of my better games for your entertainment: (I'm Black)

Thanks

D.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 17:202 edits
    Originally posted by Dem Ravenburg
    It will soon be my birthday so I'm starting to get asked what I want and I aready have enough chess boards to cover all the floors in my home!

Software;

Chessmaster 10,
    Ct art 3.0

Books;
    Winning chess tacti 28. Qb2d2 a4 29. Qd2e2 Bf5d7 30. Qe2e7 a3 1-0[/pgn]

Thanks

D.
    I think what you mostly need is tactics. Then you can move on to tactics. When you're done with that, some tactics would be good. 🙂 Seriously, you can't have enough of tactics, and at that stage, it will make a rapid improvement in your rating.

1 hour of chesstempo everyday and you could hope to be 1500~1600 in 6 months.

oh by the way, if you're trying to name a birthday present for your friends or family🙂, make it Rybka (chessbase interface). You need to analyze every game you play throughly, and chessmaster is very bad for that.
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 13:59
    Originally posted by Dem Ravenburg

Software;

Chessmaster 10,
    Ct art 3.0

Books;
    Winning chess tacti ...[text shortened]... 28. Qb2d2 a4 29. Qd2e2 Bf5d7 30. Qe2e7 a3 1-0[/pgn]

Thanks

D.
    I don't know how to put this but in that position white wins with Qf8#...
  4. SubscriberkNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 04:09
    Originally posted by Uries
    ouch
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 08:02
    Originally posted by Uries
    Yes, I would assume thats why he resigned.
  6. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 08:37
    To the OP, I would say you need to play real opponents not just sit on your computer and do puzzles. Try playing at a chess club and local events. Play people on the FICS/ICC/Playchess etc. Puzzles and tactics is not what chess is all about.

Once you start playing people around your level and a bit stronger you can note your weaknesses and work on them.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 10:32
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    My last pawn move was a fatal blunder a habit I need to break. I just thought the rest of the game was good and overall it was a good example of my play.

D.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree