1. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 14:06
    The reason I ask is because there is a new book out called " Chess Strategy for Club Players" by Herman Grooten. I hear it has gotten good reviews, and so I was thinking it might be good for me.

But am I a "club" player? What rating is a club player?

grit
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 14:16
    Do you attend a chess club?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 14:20
    No. There is not one near me.

But it is a term referring to rating or amateur or something. Not sure.

grit
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 15:26
    At most clubs I reckon a healthy ELO average would be around 1800.
    Even small clubs have the odd 2100 player, but also a few 1400-1500's.
  5. London
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 16:07
    I belong to a chess club with over 40 members and I'm among the lower ranks of the club. You can of course join a club as soon as you can play but I expect the rating the book refers to is about 1700 - 2000 or so on RHP. It really means the book is not for beginners at one end or titled players at the other.

A typical club player will play competetive chess over the board in league games.
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 18:00
    wonder if Ohio State has a club, never thought to find out
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 18:18
    Originally posted by Ramned
    wonder if Ohio State has a club, never thought to find out
    Nah, you couldn't be that lucky 😉

COLUMBUS OH. CHESS CLUB OF OSU (USCF ID G6030761)
    http://main.uschess.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=198
  8. USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 19:35
    I think the average "club player" falls in the 1400-1600 rating range.
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 20:44
    Originally posted by grit
    No. There is not one near me.

But it is a term referring to rating or amateur or something. Not sure.

grit
    Then it's not a good book for you. It's for "club players" 🙂
  10. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 11:52
    It might be a good time to take another look at the statistics of RHP ... what rating is an RHP Club player?

You will notice very little change in these numbers over time. Individual ratings change, but the aggregate is pretty consistant.

http://personalchesstraining.com/main.php?request=rhpStats
  11. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 12:41
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    It might be a good time to take another look at the statistics of RHP ... what rating is an RHP Club player?

You will notice very little change in these numbers over time. Individual ratings change, but the aggregate is pretty consistant.

http://personalchesstraining.com/main.php?request=rhpStats
    Interestingly, between May 2008 and July 2009 the mean only changes by 9(!) points.
  12. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 17:49
    I joined a club here in Madrid and got soundly battered every evening. It was getting to the point where nobody wanted to play me because it was a waste of their time. Despite the rather unsmiling attitude of some, many of the members were perfectly civil and encouraging. I decided, after a particularly humiliating defeat, that I would stay away, study chess, play on RHP and FICS and not return until my rating had reached 1600 on either.
    It may take me some time but if I'm to hold my own against players with thirty or forty years experience, I need to tool up. My rating is currently 1370 so I guess I've got a way to go.
    Consider it a personal challenge.
    So, in my opinion, 1600 is the golden number.
  13. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 18:28
    Originally posted by witchfyndergeneral
    I joined a club here in Madrid and got soundly battered every evening. It was getting to the point where nobody wanted to play me because it was a waste of their time. Despite the rather unsmiling attitude of some, many of the members were perfectly civil and encouraging. I decided, after a particularly humiliating defeat, that I would stay away, ...[text shortened]... a way to go.
    Consider it a personal challenge.
    So, in my opinion, 1600 is the golden number.
    Keep going to the club. Notate the games and go over them. Find the friendly players and have
    them go over your game with you too. This may prove to be most effective way of improving.
    Every club has players who are arrogant and try to avoid trivial games - don't worry about them.
    Just make sure you are civil next time a lower rated player joins the club.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree