1. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 May '20 11:391 edit
    Most of us that have played tournament chess for more than a few years have done some things we wish we had not. As I make the slow transition from correspondence chess, back to over the board, I feel the need to confess my past sins as a reminder not to do these things again. I invite anyone here to do the same as we strive to repent of our errant ways.

1. In the late 80's my job was offshored to India. Financial hardships soon followed. Hoping to find a small respite from this, I entered a large tournament, only to have a very poor result, due mostly to nagging worries about money during the event. In a fit of anger and depression, I tossed my chess set, clock and miscellaneous tournament things into a wooded area alongside the road on the way home from the event. Once home, my small chess library (about 7 books) soon found their way into a nearby dumpster, as I attempted to "cleanse" myself of this miserable experience. A weekend drinking binge soon followed. The lesson I learned: Don't use chess as an escape from one's real world problems. It usually doesn't work.

2. Too attached to my rating: Though I've mellowed a bit in this area, I still put too much stock in my rating. Must start to think long term. All players go through slumps, it's part of the learning process. This is still a work in progress for me.

OK, I've confessed my chess sins, and feel a little better seeing it written. Would anyone else here care to do the same? 😏
  2. Joined
    01 May '20
    Moves
    18 May '20 12:32
    #1 ...I would actually study.

Apparently buying chess books and reading the back covers while getting drunk doesn't make you a good chess player. πŸ˜’

20 years of potential improvement wasted.
    I am studying now but alas I am 41 years old now so I doubt I will break my goal of 1800 FIDE/2000 online.

#2 ...I can't remember how many times I threw everything into the trash and quit.
    I wish I never did that.
    It probably angered the chess gods. πŸ€”
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    18 May '20 13:53
    Win, Lose or Draw - it all the same to The Many Faced God.

I spent a few good years on the North West Rapid Play Grand Prix venues in England between 1999-2011. I could of done better. Getting pi$$ed & having a laugh with the lad's waiting for the next round (game). Happy times.

Keith Arkell & Jeff Horner put me to the sword🀷‍♂️

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree