Moves
    21 Aug '10 22:58
    A rip off.
  3. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 23:14
    The sample lessons seem in a style that I don't personally dig. Also - if you are doing online content, what is wrong with having boards that actually move and interact - the "book" style format makes me want a real book. Easier to throw in the bag with the roll-up and go, or sit with coffee and a real board somewhere in the house than with the laptop. I much prefer reading books to internet books though, not a Kindle user.

Its not that expensive if you are interested though, and they have a money back guarantee.

I have gotten more enjoyment (which seems to lead to improvement / motivation) out of reading these forums, and books than any online stuff, except for maybe the tactics stuff at chess.emrald.net
  4. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 23:16
    http://chess.emrald.net/
  5. Joined
    03 Aug '10
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 23:471 edit
    i agree that i would much rather be reading books to improve but unfortunately i sit at work 14 hours a day at the computer and i am not allowe to read here. at least on the computer i can hide it well lol

also i like that its a structured lesson that teaches you something then tests you. i have gotten to the level im at without any structure whatsoever. ive never read a chess book, only skimmed through, ive never studied tactics on that server or anywhere else really. the only thing ive done is memorize a handful of opening lines that to be honest i dont reallg understand so when someone goes out of book i dont really know what my plan is suppose to be in the given position :/

without any of that i reached a provisional rating USCF 1525. that was in 10 months of playing about 1-2 hours an evening. of course, that was also 4 years ago and i have played maybe 6 total months since then.

so given these circumstances how well do you think i would benefit from this instruction?

edit: i now have the time and funds to invest into this so i dont plan on giving it up again..
  6. Midwest USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 00:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 00:281 edit

8. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 00:38
    Don't lisetn to Teacher1; he has played one game on RHP and he doesn't have any in progress. So take what he says with a cup or two of salt.
  9. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 00:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Its been a while, I suppose the forum needs some trolling 🙂

Yes, I support the library. Yes I have a land line. My house is too small for the encyclopedia set, but one day if I come into some cash, I'll get the full on OED set, so I can look archaic english words whilst reading poetry.

Point you make is a good one - play more chess. You get better, as long as you are really doing the work, not moving on auto-pilot, which lord knows I do a lot.

@airborne - if stuck at work at a computer, and you can't just move on RHP (get someone in the same time zone with the same problem and you can play all day!), I guess I can see some benefit to online study. I also have spent thousands of hours on chessgames.com just looking at all the games of my favorite players and trying to guess the next move, or playing quickly through all the games in a certain opening etc.
  10. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 00:40

11. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 00:45
    Originally posted by chesstora
    Don't lisetn to Teacher1; he has played one game on RHP and he doesn't have any in progress. So take what he says with a cup or two of salt.
    I think he wanted to be a good chess player and he found out he sucks, so he cheats and now that he isn't any good at that he spends all day punching himself in the groin.
  12. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 01:46
    Originally posted by airborne143rd
    chessmasterschool.com
    Looked at the sample lessons.I reckon the content will be ok but I will not become a student there because:

-I don't see how a course designed to help advanced players to strong (+-2300) masters can also be for beginners.Souns to me like dishonest salestalk.

-I hover between 1800-1900 now.I'll be 2300 next year?With just 10 hours study a week?An unlikely claim.More salestalk.

-I don't understand their money back guarantee.If not satisfied I must request my money back before my credit card is charged.I'm pretty sure I will not receive any lesson before I'm charged.So how will I know I'm not satisfied?I'm not psychic!
    But this may be due to me not grasping the correct meaning.I'm not native English speaking.

-34$ a month.I could buy 2 books for that.That's 24 books a year!What will they teach me that I can't find in those?

You can go to school if you like,I'll be in the garden with my books and travel set 🙂

toet.
  13. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 01:52
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    Looked at the sample lessons.I reckon the content will be ok but I will not become a student there because:

-I don't see how a course designed to help advanced players to strong (+-2300) masters can also be for beginners.Souns to me like dishonest salestalk.

-I hover between 1800-1900 now.I'll be 2300 next year?With just 10 hours study a week?An un ...[text shortened]... to school if you like,I'll be in the garden with my books and travel set 🙂

toet.
    100% right.

It's amazing the amount of chess crap for sale on the internet by those strong players who never made it to high level chess. Can't they just settle with the rating they got? What's next? Josh Waitzkin underwear to make you a karate fighter? and Duncan Suttles coffee mugs to help you program computer systems?

Raymond Keene going to start selling donuts to improve chess understanding?
  14. Midwest USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 16:371 edit

15. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 16:381 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree