When a positional player gets ornery

When a positional player gets ornery

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
08 Dec 18
4 edits

This was a game I recently played in a small one-day tournament. It had three rounds, and the first round time control was Game/45 minutes.
I work for Disney at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida, and this summer we had just opened Toy Story Land. I was working ungodly hours, and my OTB rating suffered for it. I was hoping to correct the decline starting with this tournament, and was somewhat successful.

I consider myself more of a positional player, but the start of the game "got my dander up" a bit, so I unloaded both barrels, so to speak. My opponent is a USCF Expert, and I felt like he was not really taking me seriously.

The game has errors, but I suspect that if I had played it here at RHP against someone I did not know already, I would be accused of using a computer- or at least that would be cool if it happened! 😉

I was black, so I recommend inverting the board when viewing.

EDIT: I had lots of notes in the game, but most of them are not showing up. At least the playing portion works with no notes (see second version)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Dec 18

@paul-leggett said
This was a game I recently played in a small one-day tournament. It had three rounds, and the first round time control was Game/45 minutes.
I work for Disney at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida, and this summer we had just opened Toy Story Land. I was working ungodly hours, and my OTB rating suffered for it. I was hoping to correct the decline starting with this ...[text shortened]... f4 gxf3
15. Nxf3 Rg8 16. N1d2 Bh3 17. Rf1 Rxg2+ 18. Qxg2 Bxg2 19. Kxg2 Rg8+ 20. Kh1 Qg6
0-1[/pgn]
Doesn't N-h4 followed by the other knight to f3 stop the mate?

It is obvious putting rook to g1 queen check is immediate mate from knight and same with R-f2, knight takes mate even though queen is in danger.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Dec 18

@sonhouse

21. Nh4 Qg1+
22. Rxg1 (only move) Nf2#

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
09 Dec 18

FIX'D

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
13 Dec 18

@BigDoggProblem
You are da man!

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
17 Dec 18

@Paul-Leggett

Thanks. It is good to play over annotated games from strong players.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Dec 18

How many saw how black wins on 21.Nh4?

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
17 Dec 18

@bigdoggproblem said
How many saw how black wins on 21.Nh4?
... Qg1+ and a smothered N mate next move.