1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 07:14
    What do you do when you can't seem to concentrate? When tactics problems you'd normally penetrate and solve don't work because you can't go deep? When you throw away practice games you would normally have won because of a momentary lapse? JMHO - Rather than trying to force yourself to "tough it out" or quit in anger; try shifting gears a bit. Get into your database and start playing over GM games from your chosen openings; don't try to get into deep analysis, just set up your board and play through the games at a medium / slow pace, reading through any annotations (if there are any) Making these mechanical moves will not only help you relearn many helpful and half forgotten lines you can use in tournament play, but can help rekindle your enthusiasm, and with it, the energy to "go deep" This has helped me recently, maybe it will help some of you too.

- and it's better than doing nothing. 🙂
  2. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 08:191 edit
    I think you need to detach yourself from Master play and focus on being an intermediate player first.

Get there before you assume you understand Master play.

Anyone under 1800 has no idea what a GM or a Master is doing.

On the 3 big sites I am 1850+ at 10 minute games and I have never assumed I was smart enough to understand Master play.

You seem to assume you do.

That is your problem.
  3. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 08:21
    You're studying material beyond your ability which is why you don't improve.
  4. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 08:22
    Or maybe because it's your age 😏
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 11:303 edits
    @gratis-pawn said
    I think you need to detach yourself from Master play and focus on being an intermediate player first.

Get there before you assume you understand Master play.

Anyone under 1800 has no idea what a GM or a Master is doing.

On the 3 big sites I am 1850+ at 10 minute games and I have never assumed I was smart enough to understand Master play.

You seem to assume you do.

That is your problem.
    Thank You for pointing out "my problem" However I once competed successfully at the 1700 level (USCF) before leaving the OTB game for 2 1/2 decades, and I'll get there again (and more). I suggested playing through GM games to recharge, not to try to understand every facet of GM play.

And (with all due respect to your class A status) I still think it's better than doing nothing. 😉
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 03:01
    @mchill said
    What do you do when you can't seem to concentrate? When tactics problems you'd normally penetrate and solve don't work because you can't go deep? When you throw away practice games you would normally have won because of a momentary lapse? JMHO - Rather than trying to force yourself to "tough it out" or quit in anger; try shifting gears a bit. Get into your database and start p ...[text shortened]... elped me recently, maybe it will help some of you too.

- and it's better than doing nothing. 🙂
    I disagree that "doing nothing" is a bad idea. Take a week off chess study and come back to it fresh. What you've described in your OP sounds like a brain needing a break.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 02:01
    @deepthought said
    I disagree that "doing nothing" is a bad idea. Take a week off chess study and come back to it fresh. What you've described in your OP sounds like a brain needing a break.
    Exactly what I thought as well, we all need a break from everything from time to time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree