1. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '09 04:582 edits
    Actually the game is Rubenstein vs Marcozy 1920. On the Chessgames site there is an annotated version of this game in which Bogoljubow had this to say: Bogoljubow: "Also good is 23.Nxe5 Nxe5 24.Bxe5 and if 24...Bg4 25.Bd4 with an extra pawn, but Rubinstein prefers to keep the pressure on."

I thought Nxe5 wasn't bad either (which is why I researched a bit more), but I appreciate this thread for the positional thinking. It shows how style plays a role in a game as well.

here's a link to the game for those who gave their educated guess: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1006604
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Apr '09 06:52
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    I thought it might be interesting to view some semi-simple positional puzzles

So in the following position, where would you move?
    and [b]why
    ? - White to play
    [fen]r3r1k1/qp3ppp/p3b1n1/3Bp3/1bN5/4P1B1/PP3PPP/1QRR2K1 w - - 1 23 [/fen]

For those of you who think this game looks vaguely familiar...
    Stop yourself. Don't cheat. 🙂

Boxes are not welcome here, "Why" wins the "prize".... not "What"[/b]
    Bxe5 is my instinct. It aims that Bishop at the enemy K. If the enemy N takes it, the White N retakes, maintaining pressure on the King. If the Black B takes the White one, Rook retaking lifts the room into position to pressure the King.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree