1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 00:29
    I have finally broken down and decided to buy a few chess books; however, I only have a limited amount of money to spend. Therefore, I have come to a dilemna between choosing Winning Chess Tactics or Winning Chess Strategies. Which book would you choose if you could only select one? I especially ask those of you who have read one or both of them. I am leaning torwards Winning Chess Strategies but I'm willing to try either.
  2. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 00:54
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I have finally broken down and decided to buy a few chess books; however, I only have a limited amount of money to spend. Therefore, I have come to a dilemna between choosing Winning Chess Tactics or Winning Chess Strategies. Which book would you choose if you could only select one? I especially ask those of you who have read one or both of them. I am leaning torwards Winning Chess Strategies but I'm willing to try either.
    I have read both and would choose strategies over the other... also tactics can be found easily on the web.
  3. washington
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 01:08
    your tactics are solid enough i've seen your play for quiet a while. winning chess strategies will benefit your much more. i say tactics usually help people that are usually under 1500. but you seem to know them well enough. strategies is my vote. i have it too so i know its a good book.
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 01:101 edit
    I have both in front of me now.
    Depends where you think your strengths are I suppose.
    The tactics book is probably the best one I've seen for beginner up.

Most people suggest you only worry about strategy after you have a good sound tactical basis.
    The understanding where the pieces go & faulty strategy chapters are very useful indeed though.

Also, John Nunn's Learn chess tactics is very good indeed.
    It has only recentish (1995 onwards) tactical game examples & works along the same method as Sierawan's book.
    Nunn explains the basics, gives a few key examples then sets tests for each topic & has a big find-the-best-move random tactic section at the end.
    The topics covered & learning curve are perfectly balanced also.
    His description of the solutions is superb as well.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 01:17
    Thanks for the posts. I'll probably go for the strategy, but I won't be sure until I buy it tomorrow. Thanks again.
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 01:28
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Thanks for the posts. I'll probably go for the strategy, but I won't be sure until I buy it tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Go with Strategies. Get your Tactics online for free at Chess Tactics Server. I have the first three books from that series in my library, and although the Tactics book is good, I think you'd be much better served with a collection of puzzles to work through periodically, which as has been stated by others as well, you can get online for free.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree