1. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 00:071 edit
    I noticed banned peoples games were on there.

Would it be computer usage to use the games explorer to play the moves of a known computer user?

BTW, gamesexplorer is NOT the database I use.

So don't try predicting my moves from that. You may be disappointed. 😉
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 01:56
    Originally posted by Diet Coke

Would it be computer usage to use the games explorer to play the moves of a known computer user?

Chances are the games wouldn't been much help past the opening anyway, so using those games should be OK. Engines use the same lines you can find in databases or books so I don't think that would give you any more of an edge.
  3. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 05:19
    Originally posted by Diet Coke

You're missing the point of the engine ban. It's not that you are not allowed to view engine games, it's that you are not allowed to use engines to help you play.

For a comparative, you are allowed to view Kasparov's games, and use the analysis from them to help you in your own games, but what you are NOT allowed to do is go ask Kasparov for help in a specific position.
  4. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 10:32
    Originally posted by bosintang
    You're missing the point of the engine ban. It's not that you are not allowed to view engine games, it's that you are not allowed to use engines to help you play.

For a comparative, you are allowed to view Kasparov's games, and use the analysis from them to help you in your own games, but what you are NOT allowed to do is go ask Kasparov for help in a specific position.
    I believe what DietCoke was trying to ask was the following: let's assume a game PLAYER X plays follows strictly a game that is in the RHP DATABASE (the gamesexplorer), and it is a game that was played by a player banned for using outside assistance (engine, most probably, for I doubt Kasparov will alert the moderators if he were helping someone). Following the moves in the RHP DATABASE might lead to 100% match up with some engine. Not because PLAYER X him/herself is using an engine but because the player whose game PLAYER X is following did. So, there is a possibility that PLAYER X is in fact using an engine, without actually using it - just by following the DATABASE. I guess what DietCoke was trying to clarify is whether in such case PLAYER X would be viewed as using outside assistance (engine) or would be viewed as using a DATABSE (i.e a resource allowed by the ToS)?
  5. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 13:05
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I believe what DietCoke was trying to ask was the following: let's assume a game PLAYER X plays follows [b]strictly a game that is in the RHP DATABASE (the gamesexplorer), and it is a game that was played by a player banned for using outside assistance (engine, most probably, for I doubt Kasparov will alert the moderators if he were helping someone). Fol ...[text shortened]... assistance (engine) or would be viewed as using a DATABSE (i.e a resource allowed by the ToS)?[/b]
    Exactly.
  6. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 13:312 edits
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I believe what DietCoke was trying to ask was the following: let's assume a game PLAYER X plays follows [b]strictly a game that is in the RHP DATABASE (the gamesexplorer), and it is a game that was played by a player banned for using outside assistance (engine, most probably, for I doubt Kasparov will alert the moderators if he were helping someone).[/b]
    Ok..I see what you're saying. But the mods take into account games that are in the public domain, whether they've been played by engines, humans, or Caro-Kann players. This would certainly include any games in the gamesexplorer.

At the very least, if that's all the basis they have to accuse you with, you could certainly explain yourself easily enough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree