1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 04:041 edit
    Whoops, that of is suppose to be an OR

I play better with Black and find it easier also.I also win more games with Black then White. I got my Black openings from Roman Dvd's, but as white he didn't recommend anything great so i'm lost as white most of the time.

What about you guys?

Rhp White 20-4-6 Black 20-3-3
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 07:16
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Whoops, that of is suppose to be an OR

I play better with Black and find it easier also.I also win more games with Black then White. I got my Black openings from Roman Dvd's, but as white he didn't recommend anything great so i'm lost as white most of the time.

What about you guys?

80v39 with white, 30v11 with black.

I tend to play some form of Sicilian with black, and find many players don't know any theory and start making bad moves quite quickly.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 11:581 edit
    -that's a pretty even score for black and white you've got...

my stats
    w: 16 0 10
    b: 17 3 17

16/26 = 61.5% wins for white, 17/37 = 46% wins for black. I thought I did better as black, but it seems not to be true. somehow playing black still just feels easier...
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 20:56
    Well I gotta do that for my OTB games also but I think I lost more with white then black.

Well if your a 1.e4 player then vs the sicilian it's always diffucult, and vs the caro-khan its hard to get anything going.

That's why i think white is harder to play with.

The general thing is win with white, draw with black. So with black, even if you get a draw it acceptable. But with white, a draw is a bad thing.

That's why i find black easier to play. Easy to equalize.
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 21:041 edit
    I find white easier also
    white
    402 40 246
    black
    271 31 257
    most of my draws with white came in my first 200 games
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 21:22
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    I find white easier also
    white
    402 40 246
    black
    271 31 257
    most of my draws with white came in my first 200 games
    No I said I find black easy to play not white.

With white people expect you to win, therefore there's more pressure on you and its harder to get an advantage vs someone similar in ratings.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 22:24
    Well I gotta do that for my OTB games also but I think I lost more with white then black.

Well if your a 1.e4 player then vs the sicilian it's always diffucult, and vs the caro-khan its hard to get anything going.

That's why i think white is harder to play with.

The general thing is win with white, draw with black. So with black, even if you get a d ...[text shortened]... th white, a draw is a bad thing.

That's why i find black easier to play. Easy to equalize.
    The bizarre thing is that a lot of low to medium ranking players say they don't like the Sicilian because it is too theoretical. So when they are black they meet e4 with e5.

But when they are white they still play e4...
  8. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 22:46
    Im better white than black

as white I usually go with a gambit opening, and with black a sicilian (mostly dragon)

I seem to have a problem as white vs center counter def though...
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 01:04
    Originally posted by dottewell
    The bizarre thing is that a lot of low to medium ranking players say they don't like the Sicilian because it is too theoretical. So when they are black they meet e4 with e5.

But when they are white they still play e4...
    Maybe they think the sicilian is a joke and dare black players to play it against them.

Against lower rated players, facing the sicilian is okay but against higher rated players, i find it very difficult compared to say the french, scandanvian and others.

Altough most higher rated player in my club do play the sicilian exclusively as black.

I'm going to try reading about the sicilian and then maybe i can play better against it, and play it as black. I play 1.e4 e5 as black but its rather drawish for me.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 01:57
    I've avoided 1.e4 just for the sole reason that I didn't know anything about sicilian. but I guess it doesn't really matter that much at my level, so I've just started trying it (sicilian). strangely, the scheveningen seems to feel pretty ok already... I'm trying out dragon also, but somehow I feel uneasy with it. I don't know why. the fianchetto just bothers me, although I play mostly KIA as white.

I find it very interesting that mctayto scores significantly better as white. I wouldn't have thought it made any difference at 1200 if you had the first move or not. but clearly it does, as he has hundreds of games, and so the observation is statistically pretty stable.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 05:22
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I've avoided 1.e4 just for the sole reason that I didn't know anything about sicilian. but I guess it doesn't really matter that much at my level, so I've just started trying it (sicilian). strangely, the scheveningen seems to feel pretty ok already... I'm trying out dragon also, but somehow I feel uneasy with it. I don't know why. the fianchetto just bothe ...[text shortened]... does, as he has hundreds of games, and so the observation is statistically pretty stable.
    If your playing at the lower level, most people don't know their sicilian very well as black and it is easier to beat them. To play the sicilian you need some knowledge about it, and I don't think lower player have much of this knowledge. I used to play it when i first started OTB simply because I saw Anand, Kasp and other playing it as black, but after getting crushed swiflty by a master and 1800+ players I gave it up. When I have more knowledge, I'll get back to it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree