Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Oct '10 20:14
    Game 7743504

    or was the draw the right result?
  2. 07 Oct '10 20:46
    I see for White the idea of h4-h5 winning the e-pawn.Black has to kick the knight to prevent this.So after your 31.a4 he has to play 31.... a6 intending 32.... b5.

    I'd wait with the drawoffer to see what he does.If indeed a6 it looks drawn to me,though still lots of play left.

    toet.
  3. Standard member chessicle
    The Chessicle
    07 Oct '10 21:08
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    I see for White the idea of h4-h5 winning the e-pawn.Black has to kick the knight to prevent this.So after your 31.a4 he has to play 31.... a6 intending 32.... b5.

    I'd wait with the drawoffer to see what he does.If indeed a6 it looks drawn to me,though still lots of play left.

    toet.
    31 ... a6 32 h4 b5 33 ab5 ab5 34 Na3 Rb6 35 h5 and a Black pawn falls, and with it, perhaps, the game?
  4. 07 Oct '10 21:36
    Originally posted by chessicle
    31 ... a6 32 h4 b5 33 ab5 ab5 34 Na3 Rb6 35 h5 and a Black pawn falls, and with it, perhaps, the game?
    Zwischenzug!!

    34.... Ne7

    and I don't think the white rook can go to g5/h5

    toet.
  5. 08 Oct '10 01:01 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    I see for White the idea of h4-h5 winning the e-pawn.Black has to kick the knight to prevent this.So after your 31.a4 he has to play 31.... a6 intending 32.... b5.

    I'd wait with the drawoffer to see what he does.If indeed a6 it looks drawn to me,though still lots of play left.

    toet.
    Wrong side of the board! 🙂

    Best i think after 31...a6 is 32.a5 with intentions of penetrating with the king.
  6. 08 Oct '10 01:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    I see for White the idea of h4-h5 winning the e-pawn.Black has to kick the knight to prevent this.So after your 31.a4 he has to play 31.... a6 intending 32.... b5.

    I'd wait with the drawoffer to see what he does.If indeed a6 it looks drawn to me,though still lots of play left.

    toet.
    double post
  7. 08 Oct '10 12:33 / 2 edits
    "....was the draw the right result?"

    You woukld have to say no because White was a piece up after Black's
    clumsy Bxf2+ missing Qxg4.



    A piece up means you call the shots and attack. You have a piece up your
    sleeve to sac back to bring the game to a won ending.
    Piece up games do not win themselves (as you found out).

    Here White should have traded down...



    ....with 12 Bb5 and 13.Bxc6.

    (In the game that Knight on b3 was a pain in the ass I hate Knights on b3/b6).

    Here....



    ...you gave the piece back with 24.Nxd5 and then a draw was a fair result.
    Black complicated things enough to justify a chance.
    But he should never have been allowed to.

    Looking at it and 24.Rxd5(!) Nxd5 25.Nxd5



    White is still a piece up and the Knights will terrorise those Rooks.

    Plan: Don't swap off your single Rook for 2N v R his pair of Rooks will go
    doopy-loopy trying keep away from Knight Forks and eventually walk into one.

    Of course these are OTB eyes. I'd strongly fancy my chances OTB as White
    in that last postion.
  8. 09 Oct '10 17:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "....was the draw the right result?"

    You woukld have to say no because White was a piece up after Black's
    clumsy Bxf2+ missing Qxg4.

    [fen]r1bqk2r/ppp2ppp/2np4/6B1/2B1P1Q1/1NN5/PPP2KPP/R6R b kq - 0 10[/fen]

    A piece up means you call the shots and attack. You have a piece up your
    sleeve to sac back to bring the game to a won ending.
    Piece up ga ...[text shortened]... ourse these are OTB eyes. I'd strongly fancy my chances OTB as White
    in that last postion.
    good call about trading the knight when i had the chance, looking back now i'm not sure why i didn't do that.
  9. 14 Oct '10 22:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    <snip> Looking at it and 24.Rxd5(!) Nxd5 25.Nxd5

    White is still a piece up and the Knights will terrorise those Rooks.
    I wish you'd explain it. 24.Rxd5 Nxd5 25.Nxd5 and after 25...Rd6 26.Nc7 Red8 27.Nb5 R3d7 for example, what has White got? Mind you, I'm not being contentious -- I just want to know why White has better chances here.
  10. 15 Oct '10 01:49
    Hi Schach.

    No problem, you have to ask I always do.

    Let's have a look.

    After Rd6 I don't think I'd play your Nc7 I would sink the Knight in d5 with c4.



    Such a Knight is worth a Rook.
    My only reservation is I would like c4 for a Knight.
    But you can never have everything.

    It's stopping lots of things that one Knight.
    The a-pawn cannot move as b6 is under attack.
    the g-pawn is stuck else White gets f6

    Now it's just to loose to call. Too many if's and buts.
    Against anything Black does White has an answer.
    White is fluid - Black has to do something and do it very carefully.

    It's an OTB position this one (I said that ) C.C. and Black can avoid
    walking into one but I think White can tidy himself up.
    Once he gets that other Knight playing then the tricks start flying.

    Note in these type of postions the Black King must keep out of the way
    if he appraoches it's another forkable unit. His safest place may be h8.

    Though now looking at it that other Knight (which has been a problem in this
    game since it went to b3) I can see White is going to have to go crafty.
    (I'm taking 1.c4 back 😉 no it's what I would play.)
    Looks like it's Nf1 g4 and Ng3-f5 to see if we can pull forward that g-pawn.

    Bet with best ever play it a draw - never a Black win.
    White will have the winning chances though.
  11. 15 Oct '10 18:16
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    After Rd6 I don't think I'd play your Nc7 I would sink the Knight in d5 with c4. Such a Knight is worth a Rook. My only reservation is I would like c4 for a Knight.
    But you can never have everything. It's stopping lots of things that one Knight.

    The a-pawn cannot move as b6 is under attack.
    the g-pawn is stuck else White gets f6

    Now it's just to loose to call.
    Thanks for that reply, greenpawn34. I can see the attraction of a cemented outpost. But as for moving the a-pawn, isn't b6 safe (for the time being) with the rook on the sixth rank? Also, after White plays 26.c4, as Black I'd be thinking about playing 26...f5 to open up another file for my rooks, as well as to complicate matters, since White's position at that moment is static and defensive. Whatcha think?
  12. 15 Oct '10 19:03 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Schach.

    No problem, you have to ask I always do.

    Let's have a look.

    After Rd6 I don't think I'd play your Nc7 I would sink the Knight in d5 with c4.

    [fen]4r1k1/p4ppp/1p1r4/2pN4/2P1P3/6P1/PP1NK2P/3R4 b - c3 0 1[/fen]

    Such a Knight is worth a Rook.
    My only reservation is I would like c4 for a Knight.
    But you can never have everything.
    ever play it a draw - never a Black win.
    White will have the winning chances though.
    I would want the king on c4 actually but I can't see a way to get it done. I keep running into 1...f5.
  13. 15 Oct '10 21:03 / 1 edit
    Hi Schach.



    Sorry for not making myself clear.
    The a-pawn moves and a Rook is tied down to the 6th rank defending the b6 pawn.
    When playing such positions you try not to have a piece retricted to defending.
    The key is being fluid.

    I suggested Kh8 to get away from Ne7+ and Nf6+ tricks.
    Not on at the moment but when the Knight is off d2 then a single Rook
    may not stray onto the d-file because of this shot.

    Hi TomTom

    " I keep running into 1...f5."

    I thought I had missed something.

    From the diagram 1...f5 2.Kf3 pxp+ 3.Nxp



    I still like White. I could play White OK. I would be very wary about taking Black.
    There are loads of wrong moves for Black. That is all I usually need.
    OTB I'd have faith in my opponent slipping up.