Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    06 Sep '11 14:28 / 2 edits
    In a recent chess game I was playing black and achieved the following position (black to play):

What is your assessment of the position? What plans would you take as white and as black?

Me, as a patzer, I think that black is winning: white is underdeveloped in the QS, his KS is severely cramped, the h-file can't be opened, the dark squares around white's king are just screaming for forgiveness, and to top it all off I can see a very sexy knight sacrifice in g3 on some lines.

Of course that since I'm a patzer my understanding of the position can be very wrong.

This is how the game actually ended by the way:

2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Sep '11 17:00
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    In a recent chess game I was playing black and achieved the following position (black to play):

[fen]r3k2r/ppp3p1/4qn2/2b1pp1p/2Pn2b1/P2P1P2/1P2B1PP/RNBQ1R1K b KQkq - 0 13[/fen]

What is your assessment of the position? What plans would you take as white and as black?

Me, as a patzer, I think that black is winning: white is underdeveloped in th ...[text shortened]... ctually ended by the way:

[fen]2k4r/ppp3p1/4q3/2b1p3/1PP3p1/P2P2K1/3Nn1P1/RNB5 w - -[/fen]
    Something's wrong with the diagrams; in the first, white has only one Knight; in the second, he has two. My guess is Pf3 is supposed to be a Knight in the first diagram.
  3. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    06 Sep '11 18:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Something's wrong with the diagrams; in the first, white has only one Knight; in the second, he has two. My guess is Pf3 is supposed to be a Knight in the first diagram.
    Oooops!

Here it is as it should have been.

4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Sep '11 18:54
    Oooops!

Here it is as it should have been.

[fen]r3k2r/ppp3p1/4qn2/2b1pp1p/2Pn2b1/P2P1P2/1P1NB1PP/RNBQ1R1K[/fen]
    I think if I were white I would resist the temptation to capture the Bishop and instead kick the Bc5 away with b4. I'd follow this up with Bb2, trying to trade off Black's nice N on d4.
  5. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    06 Sep '11 18:56 / 1 edit
    I think if I were white I would resist the temptation to capture the Bishop and instead kick the Bc5 away with b4. I'd follow this up with Bb2, trying to trade off Black's nice N on d4.
    Ok. But do you agree with my assessment that black is winning?

I think that capturing the bishop is indeed taboo and opening up the h file really is asking for all kinds of trouble.

But this is what really happened in the game:

Edit: After taking my bishop I think that 15. g3 was best.
  6. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Sep '11 19:12
    Ok. But do you agree with my assessment that black is winning?

I think that capturing the bishop is indeed taboo and opening up the h file really is asking for all kinds of trouble.

But this is what really happened in the game:

[pgn]1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3 d5 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.d3 Bg4 6.Be2 f5 7.c4 Qe6 8.a3 Nf6 9.Nfd2 Bc5 10.O-O h5 11.Kh1 Nd4 12.f3 ...[text shortened]... .Kh4 Nxf4+ 20.Kg3 Nxe2# 0-1[/pgn]

Edit: After taking my bishop I think that 15. g3 was best.
    After 14.Nb3 followed by 15.Be3, I don't think Black is quite winning yet. Sure, his position is better.
  7. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    06 Sep '11 20:44
    After 14.Nb3 followed by 15.Be3, I don't think Black is quite winning yet. Sure, his position is better.
    Ok.

Thanks for all the input.