1. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 09:18
    I mostly gravitate towards the old timers like Reinfeld, Chernev, Tarrasch and Reti. They’re all great. But if I have to choose just one author I’ll go with Euwe. He loved chess and he loved to teach. A good combination. His books are pleasant to read, straightforward and informative. Wish they would translate more of his work into English.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 09:222 edits
    Originally posted by KneeCaps
    I mostly gravitate towards the old timers like Reinfeld, Chernev, Tarrasch and Reti. They’re all great. But if I have to choose just one author I’ll go with Euwe. He loved chess and he loved to teach. A good combination. His books are pleasant to read, straightforward and informative. Wish they would translate more of his work into English.
    Andrew Soltis, I have three of his books, Fischer rediscovered, How To study chess, and Pawn structure chess, but i agree, the old timers are great, especially Reti.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 09:34
    Purdy

Grit
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 09:36
    Tim Harding. He writes for the ordinary player in a style that I enjoy.
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 09:43
    I'd have to go with Chernev.

Logical Chess and The Most Instructive Games Of Chess Ever Played win my vote.

Clarke is another great author.

He made the game collections of Petrosian and Tal something really fun to play through and enjoy.
    Imagine one author being able to take two completely different styles like those and do that!
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 10:331 edit
    I'd go with Seriwan. His tactics books are great, and he adds a bit of humor to them. (Uncommon in a chess book). My 2nd pick would be Tim Harding. His book "winning at correspondence chess" is a masterpiece😏
  7. looking for trouble
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 11:03
    I liked the books but Euwe and Silman. For games collections I like Tal's as well
  8. c6
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 11:42
    Chernev's "Most Instructive Games" is the best chess book I've ever read. If only I could find a copy in algebraic notation.

Tal's "Tal-Botvinnik 1960" and "The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal" are close second and third.

Seirawan is probably the most accessible author, but he's not as fascinating as the above two.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 12:06
    Seconded (except that I can read them in Dutch, natch). It's quite obvious that his first trade was teaching, not chess.

Heh. Pay me well enough and I'll translate some for you!

Richard
  10. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 12:55
    C'mon guys Chandler wrote a book, I'm going with him.
  11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 13:00
    Yermolinsky.
  12. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 13:08
    John Nunn, hands down. He has a knack for making chess instruction both lucid and entertaining.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 13:18
    Originally posted by PBE6
    John Nunn, hands down. He has a knack for making chess instruction both lucid and entertaining.
    I'm a huge John Nunn fan also. I also love Joe Gallagher, whose style shares many similarities with Nunn's.

Nunn is a little more formal, while Gallagher writes in a style that is sort of like a friend explaining a game to you. When I read Gallagher, I sometimes feel like he was writing to me personally, and the ideas seem to stick in my head much better.

There are good players, and there are good writers, and it both rare and awesome when someone is good at both.
  14. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 13:27
    Euwe!But I'm a native Dutch speaker.
    For English works I vote Purdy.

Also fully agree with Paulfromfics' statement about Clarke.
    In fact,I should reread those books.

toet.
  15. Joined
    29 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 14:18
    Originally posted by dirtysniper
    C'mon guys Chandler wrote a book, I'm going with him.
    Actually Geoff (co-) wrote two books - Rampant Chess with Keith Ruxton and Mastering Chess with Danny Kopec/Spike Mullen/Alan Norris. Both are outstanding.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree