1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 22:151 edit
    Originally posted by GreatSantini
    You've played a thousand games here, and 1200 seems to be your high water mark. It's seems likely that that's as good as you're capable of getting. Don't feel bad, a lot of very intelligent people are poor chess players even though they play all the time and work at it. No matter how smart a person is, if they don't have any aptitude for the game, they ...[text shortened]... player. It's also possible that you're just very stupid.
    I hope I've been helpful.
    Yeah... I'm sure that was real helpful. WTF?! I think the fact he's played so many games does not indicate that going beyond 1200 is out of reach, but rather that he is not focusing enough on each game. Playing many games also doesn't help so much if you don't analyze them and read up on chess.
  2. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 22:22
    Originally posted by zebano
    It's because you are dropping pieces.
    I used to do this lots. Now I cup them very carefully in both hands when I am carrying them. I only drop them nowadays if I trip over or someone distracts me.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 15:25
    I do research and look at past games and such. I did like those GM lessons on Chess FM, but can't find them anymore.

I've been slowing down and it is helping, least i'm making less blunders.
  4. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 16:15
    Originally posted by GreatSantini
    You've played a thousand games here, and 1200 seems to be your high water mark. It's seems likely that that's as good as you're capable of getting. Don't feel bad, a lot of very intelligent people are poor chess players even though they play all the time and work at it. No matter how smart a person is, if they don't have any aptitude for the game, they ...[text shortened]... player. It's also possible that you're just very stupid.
    I hope I've been helpful.
    veager I know that inside of you, you know that you are not studying harder and do not dominate basic endgames, and maybe because of lazyness you are not puting enoug efort in learning chess, you are just playing and waiting for some results.

take what GreatSandeprimido(this modification is in spanish) said and take it as your inspiration to master a few and only a few of the things you are missing in chess and show all the people out there that you are not stupid!!
  5. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 16:18
    Originally posted by veager
    I do research and look at past games and such. I did like those GM lessons on Chess FM, but can't find them anymore.

I've been slowing down and it is helping, least i'm making less blunders.
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/Raeene/hubie.jpg

Jeeeeez....... us!
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 16:471 edit
    Originally posted by Superman
    veager I know that inside of you, you know that you are not studying harder and do not dominate basic endgames, and maybe because of lazyness you are not puting enoug efort in learning chess, you are just playing and waiting for some results.

take what GreatSandeprimido(this modification is in spanish) said and take it as your inspiration to master a few ...[text shortened]... the things you are missing in chess and show all the people out there that you are not stupid!!
    Thank you Superman,
    I'll show all of them, I am not stupid
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 16:48
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/Raeene/hubie.jpg

Jeeeeez....... us!
    Hey man, don't make fun of my dog.
  8. MN,USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 16:50
    I have been trying to stop dropping pieces, I do that too often.
    Play lots of blitz chess so your brain gets 'instant vision' or think a lot every move.
  9. U.S.A.
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 17:111 edit
    I ying yang between 1100's and 1200's. Why can't I improve. Help me out chess Gurus
    Veager, ask yourself a few questions every move:
    (sometimes it helps too write this down as well.)

For example,

1. "If I move my piece there, can it be taken by my opponent?
    Am i putting my piece in danger by moving it there?"

2. "Are any of my pieces in danger right now?"
    (If they are consider moving it. Unless moving it would cause you
    even greater trouble)

3. "Where on the board would my chess piece be doing the most good in?" (And then move your piece there.)

4. "If i take his chess piece here what's the worst thing that could happen to me?"

5. "If his chess piece moves on this square what's the worst thing that he could do to me in 1 or 2 moves?"

6. "Is my king in danger of being checkmated in 1 or 2 moves?"

[[If your chess pieces are in danger ask yourself:]]

7. "What can i do to remove that piece from danger?"
    ===========================================

I'll try to think of a few more later.
    Hope this helps!

-- Paul (Pavlo87)

p.s. I also 100% recommend studying up on a good tactics (puzzle) book as well. Reinfeld's 1001 sacrifices and combinations is a really good one. For non puzzle book try Silman's "How to Reassess Your Chess"
    -----
    I know how frustrating it can be when you're first starting out and usually will lose more than win a game. I was like that too when i first started but if you take a look at my win/loss record now you'll see i am winning much more than losing. I didn't give up and now because of that I have finally improved. It just takes awhile to improve at chess. Just don't give up and start studying and it shouldn't take you long. Good luck! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree