Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 09 Aug '10 13:07
    In another thread Greenspawn comments that one magazine showed how rather then why games were lost.

I am attempting to list of the reasons why you could lose a game, so here goes:

1. Lack of knowledge of the rules (e.g. en passant)
    2. Lack of technical knowledge (e.g. coming out worse from an opening, not understanding oppositions in an ending),
    3. Outright blunder (e.g. leaving a piece to be taken)
    4. Missing tactics by opponent
    5. Failing to find the correct continuation in a tactical exchange yourself
    6. commencing a losing tactic against your opponent
    7. Lacking a plan in the middle/end game
    8. Having a worse plan than your opponent in the middle/endgame
    9. Having a good plan but failing to properly execute it
    10. Lack of time (i include skulls in this category)
    11.Moving too quickly
    12. PLaying whilst "tired and emotional"

The list is clearly not exhaustive and please add and in truth normally a combination. The answer may be educational if repeated often enough. You can then diagnose the appropriate remedy Mine was 3 and 12 but more commonly in my matches 7/8.
  2. 09 Aug '10 15:07
    Game 6375873

I'd say the reason was no 2. I tried to play an attacking opening that might catch my stronger opponent out. I didn't (still don't) know this opening (or indeed any other) very well. It didn't work. He destroyed my king defence and that ultimately led to my demise, despite being level on material.
  3. 09 Aug '10 16:10 / 1 edit
    Thank you for referring to that game. Brutal.

You reached the limits of the RHP 1900 database with qh4 (and my knowledge with 1...e5 being a c6 player) so it is hard to know whether your opponent had better technical knowledge or whether the plan is faulty. In trying to determine whether the latter is the case, i suspect that you would have many hours of fun and very obscure research.

It may even come under option 6?
  4. 09 Aug '10 16:38
    Outright blunder.
  5. 10 Aug '10 22:01 / 1 edit
    wait for it....
  6. 10 Aug '10 22:10
    You forgot one: doing everything wrong.

How many on your list apply to this mess?

7. 11 Aug '10 03:58
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    4. Missing tactics by opponent
    Game 7603580

The reason I resigned this game is simple: I've put people into this position OTB and have never seen anyone work a way out. I will never play the Lennigrad Dutch ever again.
  8. 11 Aug '10 07:58
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    Game 7603580

The reason I resigned this game is simple: I've put people into this position OTB and have never seen anyone work a way out. I will never play the Lennigrad Dutch ever again.
    13..... 0-0-0??

Try the Leningrad one more time but this time castle kingside.
    And do it +-5 moves earlier.

toet.