1. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    30 May '15 20:151 edit
    Is it a natural feeling to be totally fed up and want to take a break from chess, when you try and try and seem to get nowhere.

Lose games by making the most stupid mistakes, feel like you have hit a wall and you will never progress.

Then the next day, you are thinking about chess again.

What is it about this game, it's so frustrating and down right annoying but so damn addictive.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 May '15 23:23
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    Is it a natural feeling to be totally fed up and want to take a break from chess, when you try and try and seem to get nowhere.

Lose games by making the most stupid mistakes, feel like you have hit a wall and you will never progress.

What is it about this game, it's so frustrating and down right annoying but so damn addictive.
    It is because you don't want to believe that you are really that stupid 😀
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 May '15 05:47
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot

2 ideas that have helped me a lot: 1. Keep your game load under 6 games. 2. Slow down...to many mistakes are made by moving too fast. This isn't blitz chess.
  4. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '15 01:451 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    2 ideas that have helped me a lot: 1. Keep your game load under 6 games. 2. Slow down...to many mistakes are made by moving too fast. This isn't blitz chess.
    These two little gems are probably the best advice anywhere on these pages.
  5. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jun '15 07:23
    Originally posted by bill718
    3. Learn from your mistakes. Post some of your games at the forum and solicit recommendations/analysis.

Schopenhauer wrote that the fruit of life is not happiness, but experience. In chess terms, the goal is not to win, but to make deeper and profounder mistakes.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '15 13:05
    If a person plays game after game of "fast" chess without trying to really learn from mistakes, then don't be surprised if they keeping making the same mistakes again. I have been playing slow chess lately, and I can try to understand on some level what I am doing with my choices from moving to specific squares. I want to take the learning in into future games, and with slow and contemplative play I have a better chance.

For instance, one of my games against Luigi. . . I saw where I needed to have taken a file with my remaining rook; however, I wish I had seen it ahead of time instead of simply in time. My opponent had a chance to take it , but apparently did not see it.

Lastly, don't expect to see everything mistaken all at once. If you can take one thing from one game into the future, then you have succeeded.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree