Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    24 Dec '14 22:10
    ...But not spiders? Looking at the way the knight moves, wouldn't it be better if they were a spider? 😕
  2. 25 Dec '14 01:47
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    ...But not spiders? Looking at the way the knight moves, wouldn't it be better if they were a spider? 😕
    Because they'd escape the board, weave their web above your bed, and drop on your head just as you were trying to fall asleep, thus checkmating you.

Sleep tight, now...
  3. 25 Dec '14 12:54
    A spider? Why not a dog, because it goes doglegged.
  4. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    26 Dec '14 00:21
    What about Reindeer? Reindeer to reindeer three checkmate!! 😵
  5. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    26 Dec '14 05:19
    Lay off the eggnog, you lot!
  6. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    26 Dec '14 05:34
    I thought they were originally elephants.
  7. 27 Dec '14 15:29
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I thought they were originally elephants.
    No, that's the bishops. Knights were always knights, or at least cavalrists.
  8. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Dec '14 21:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    No, that's the bishops. Knights were always knights, or at least cavalrists.
    I thought rooks were originally elephants?

Bishops were boats.

??

edit: Apparently that theory is not widely accepted. 😳

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaturaji
  9. 28 Dec '14 10:55
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I thought rooks were originally elephants?

Bishops were boats.
    Bishops were elephants, rooks were chariots - that's why they go that fast. As that Pikiwedia article notes, in the four-player version, the rooks, not the bishops, were boats; but I've read no source which takes Piki's theory that one was the origin of the two-player game seriously any more. Everybody now agrees that it was the other way 'round.
  10. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    28 Dec '14 17:54
    The relationship between man and woman was the origin of the game. It's always been about mating.
  11. 28 Dec '14 19:42
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    The relationship between man and woman was the origin of the game. It's always been about mating.
    Meaning that the Indians were all homosexual, and it took mediaeval Europeans to discover that you could have sex with women as well?