Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 09 Jan '12 22:59 / 1 edit
    In this game black sacks a bishop early on. Is this some sort of gambit, or an inaccurate gamble? Both are low-mid rated players.

  2. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    09 Jan '12 23:04
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    In this game black sacks a bishop early on. Is this some sort of gambit, or an inaccurate gamble? Both are low-mid rated players.

    [pgn]

    1. e2-e4 e7-e5 2. Ng1-f3 Ng8-f6 3. Nb1-c3 Bf8-c5 4. Bf1-c4 Bc5xf2 5. Ke1xf2 Nf6-g4 6. Kf2-g1 O-O 7. h2-h3 Ng4-f6 8. d2-d3 Nb8-c6 9. Bc1-g5 a7-a6 10. a2-a3 h7-h6 11. Bg5-h4 d7-d6 12. Nc3-d5 b7-b5 13. Nd5xf6 g ...[text shortened]... -c8 23. Rf5-h5 Bc8xg4 24. h3xg4 Qe8-d7 25. Rh5xh6 Rg6xh6 26. Qe3xh6 Kh7-g8 27. Qh6-h8 1-0[/pgn]
    I think black miscalculated tbh, there is no follow up. White played pretty well imo, nice finish. 🙂
  3. 09 Jan '12 23:19 / 1 edit
    These types of crude sacrifices are perfect for bughouse, but simply don't work in real chess. White did a nice job repelling black's "attack". Before sacrificing on f2, Black should've asked himself "What has white done wrong to justify this sacrifice?" The answer, of course, is that White hasn't done anything wrong. He played normal opening moves and Black only has two pieces developed, which simply isn't enough to get an attack going, especially since one of those pieces is going to be sacrificed. It wasn't just a miscalculation as the previous poster said; oftentimes sacs can't be calculated out to the finish. It was a poor strategic decision. White has ample defenders, and Black simply isn't developed enough to give the attack any possibility of success. There was no follow up after Ng4.
  4. 10 Jan '12 00:19
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    These types of crude sacrifices are perfect for bughouse, but simply don't work in real chess. White did a nice job repelling black's "attack". Before sacrificing on f2, Black should've asked himself "What has white done wrong to justify this sacrifice?" The answer, of course, is that White hasn't done anything wrong. He played normal opening moves and B ...[text shortened]... ugh to give the attack any possibility of success. There was no follow up after Ng4.
    What's a bughouse?
  5. 10 Jan '12 00:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    What's a bughouse?
    A place you keep bugs 😛

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bughouse_chess
  6. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    10 Jan '12 00:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    A place you keep bugs 😛

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bughouse_chess
    I had just copied the same link, but you beat me to it!

    Edit: 😴
  7. 10 Jan '12 00:33
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I had just copied the same link, but you beat me to it!
    You snooze, you lose 😛
  8. 11 Jan '12 13:14
    In reply to the original topic - I think it was simply an arbitrary exchange designed to prevent white from castling. Some players (particularly the kinds I play down here in the 'bagain basement' rating zone) believe it's worth losing a knight or bishop in order to expose their opponent's king.