William  (Bill) James Lombardy (1937-2017)

William (Bill) James Lombardy (1937-2017)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
14 Oct 17

One of the last links to Booby Fischer passed away on 13th October 2017.

Bill was Fischer's second at Reykjavík and Fischer staying and not quitting
the match when his demands were not being met and smoothing over
the Icelandic authorities and Russian delegation when Fischer snubbed
them was all down to him. He played a hige part in making the sure the
match went ahead.

He was also a strong player in his own right.

He was the first American to win the World Junior Championship (1957) and still
is the only player in the history of the event to do it with perfect score of P.11 Won 11.

Moves
14 Oct 17

Last news about Lombardy was that he had legal problems with his home, some real estate firm tried to forced him out of his house.
He seemed distressed on a photo in that article, like grumpy crazy old man, his mustaches yellow of pipe tobacco, his living room in a mess, full of beer cans and whiskey bottles and I can't remember seeing any book or chess table.

He reportedly quit chess for some reason. He even refused to talk about Fischer.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
14 Oct 17

Originally posted by @vandervelde
Last news about Lombardy was that he had legal problems with his home, some real estate firm tried to forced him out of his house.
He seemed distressed on a photo in that article, like grumpy crazy old man, his mustaches yellow of pipe tobacco, his living room in a mess, full of beer cans and whiskey bottles and I can't remember seeing any book or chess table.

He reportedly quit chess for some reason. He even refused to talk about Fischer.
Yes, not a happy ending. I don't like to see things like this. Regarding Fischer, I wouldn't talk about him either, for all his chess brilliance he was not a very nice guy, he used or alienated just about everyone around him.

mlb62

Moves
15 Oct 17

If I remember right, he was also a Catholic priest..

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @mchill
Yes, not a happy ending. I don't like to see things like this. Regarding Fischer, I wouldn't talk about him either, for all his chess brilliance he was not a very nice guy, he used or alienated just about everyone around him.
Including banks telling him to take his money and shove it.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Including banks telling him to take his money and shove it.
Banks refusing money? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

e4

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

I know he was in financial trouble in his later years, there were
all kinds of stories about him being evicted from his New York flat.

The Association of Chess Professionals (ACP) helped him this year and in 2015.

'The Veteran Program in cooperation with FIDE continued this year. For the fourth year
running, six distinguished veterans got the award. It was a bit lower this year, but still,
the amount of 3.333 Euro paid to each veteran was rather significant. We are happy that
for another year we managed to help those who need our help. help. Awardees for 2017 are:'

Abram Khasin (Germany),
Eugenio Torre (Philippines),
Alexander Vaisman (Ukraine),
William Lombardy (USA),
Tamar Khmiadashvili (Georgia)
Valery Asrian (Russia).

http://www.chessprofessionals.org/content/review-our-recent-activities

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Oct 17

Lombardy - Polugaevsky, Reykjavik, 1978