Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 14 Oct '17 12:51
    One of the last links to Booby Fischer passed away on 13th October 2017.

    Bill was Fischer's second at Reykjavík and Fischer staying and not quitting
    the match when his demands were not being met and smoothing over
    the Icelandic authorities and Russian delegation when Fischer snubbed
    them was all down to him. He played a hige part in making the sure the
    match went ahead.

    He was also a strong player in his own right.

    He was the first American to win the World Junior Championship (1957) and still
    is the only player in the history of the event to do it with perfect score of P.11 Won 11.
  2. 14 Oct '17 13:10
    Last news about Lombardy was that he had legal problems with his home, some real estate firm tried to forced him out of his house.
    He seemed distressed on a photo in that article, like grumpy crazy old man, his mustaches yellow of pipe tobacco, his living room in a mess, full of beer cans and whiskey bottles and I can't remember seeing any book or chess table.

    He reportedly quit chess for some reason. He even refused to talk about Fischer.
  3. 14 Oct '17 13:18
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    Last news about Lombardy was that he had legal problems with his home, some real estate firm tried to forced him out of his house.
    He seemed distressed on a photo in that article, like grumpy crazy old man, his mustaches yellow of pipe tobacco, his living room in a mess, full of beer cans and whiskey bottles and I can't remember seeing any book or chess table.

    He reportedly quit chess for some reason. He even refused to talk about Fischer.
    Yes, not a happy ending. I don't like to see things like this. Regarding Fischer, I wouldn't talk about him either, for all his chess brilliance he was not a very nice guy, he used or alienated just about everyone around him.
  4. Subscriber ogb
    15 Oct '17 04:24
    If I remember right, he was also a Catholic priest..
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    15 Oct '17 12:07
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Yes, not a happy ending. I don't like to see things like this. Regarding Fischer, I wouldn't talk about him either, for all his chess brilliance he was not a very nice guy, he used or alienated just about everyone around him.
    Including banks telling him to take his money and shove it.
  6. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    15 Oct '17 17:57
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Including banks telling him to take his money and shove it.
    Banks refusing money? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
  7. 15 Oct '17 22:24 / 1 edit
    I know he was in financial trouble in his later years, there were
    all kinds of stories about him being evicted from his New York flat.

    The Association of Chess Professionals (ACP) helped him this year and in 2015.

    'The Veteran Program in cooperation with FIDE continued this year. For the fourth year
    running, six distinguished veterans got the award. It was a bit lower this year, but still,
    the amount of 3.333 Euro paid to each veteran was rather significant. We are happy that
    for another year we managed to help those who need our help. help. Awardees for 2017 are:'

    Abram Khasin (Germany),
    Eugenio Torre (Philippines),
    Alexander Vaisman (Ukraine),
    William Lombardy (USA),
    Tamar Khmiadashvili (Georgia)
    Valery Asrian (Russia).

    http://www.chessprofessionals.org/content/review-our-recent-activities
  8. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    15 Oct '17 22:41
    Lombardy - Polugaevsky, Reykjavik, 1978