1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 18:33
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi RJ

The Ba3 move would have been a moved I would have considered.
    But I do latch onto unprotected pieces and Nxd4 takes adavantage of that.

However...after Nxd4 if White just castles.

[fen]r1bqk2r/pp1p1ppp/5n2/8/3nP3/B1PB4/P4PPP/R2Q1RK1 b kq - 0 1[/fen]
    If you can set up that position v that program then I am sure you will
    be able to justif ...[text shortened]... nk it is and rejected Nxd4
    because it did not like the position after castles....I doubt it.)
    I probably would have never seen that in OTB play under quicker time controls, because psychologically I always feel I can not take much time thinking on a position because I will wind up with a loss on time, which has happened in the past. It makes no difference then if you are ahead. I think I am too old now to learn to think fast. I need 40 moves in 2 hours for OTB play to feel comfortable.

The Instructor
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 Aug '13 18:05
    when I win ... against that chess computer I will post it here... would be good to see a few computer wins ...
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 Sep '13 08:53
    I tried playing fritz 11 in the Halloween Attack the other day and it plays this;

Think an awful move like 5..Bd6 came from fritz's 'brain'? No, its been put in the opening book because fritz looses to this line - I bet - I'm confident if I turn the opening book off it will loose.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 21:011 edit
    Saitek Down ... over ... Saitek Down.

With no stupid sacrifices this time. I'm not sure of the name of this opening, think its a variant of the bishops game - its symmetrical to move 5. The Saitek (master?) plays like a right turkey in this game - it had 30 sec p/m and was on its hardest setting but plays bad; 6 Nc6-a5...then back again...8 Na5-c6 and it was pointless as the bishop went to a2.

I've used the same line to beat other computers. The trick here is playing from the symmetrical position (8)h3..., Ng3-h2...,g4..., preparing to attack the castle and opening the d1-h5 diagonal for the queen. Whilst whites king stays in the centre or maybe castles queen side - interesting how a symmetrical set up quickly turns to an attack on blacks king. It beats computers not sure about people.

(boring but if you press enter on the Saitek whilst in book it scrolls through its responses, not in the manual but it does)
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 22:281 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Saitek Down ... over ... Saitek Down.

With no stupid sacrifices this time. I'm not sure of the name of this opening, think its a variant of the bishops game - its symmetrical to move 5. The Saitek (master?) plays like a right turkey in this game - it had 30 sec p/m and was on its hardest setting but plays bad; 6 Nc6-a5...then back again...8 Na5-c6 and it on the Saitek whilst in book it scrolls through its responses, not in the manual but it does)
    Instead of 20.Ng4, isn't 20.Qh4 with the threat of 21.Qh8 better? Oh, I see now. That would allow 20...Qxh3.
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 23:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Instead of 20.Ng4, isn't 20.Qh4 with the threat of 21.Qh8 better? Oh, I see now. That would allow 20...Qxh3.
    yep, nearly beat it again at 1 min per move, it plays bad in this line even at that time, just a slight change in move order, it gets its pieces stuck in the centre with no co-ordination at all.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 05:451 edit
    yep, nearly beat it again at 1 min per move, it plays bad in this line even at that time, just a slight change in move order, it gets its pieces stuck in the centre with no co-ordination at all.
    I have been playing both sides against the free Microsoft Chess Titans that was recommended by Fat Lady. I did not record any of the moves because I was just checking it out to see how it plays. My first loss was at level 7. Then I played it at that level again a couple days later and was able to get a draw. Then I just played it again and managed to get a difficult win against a Caro Kann Defense.

I think level 7 will give me some good OTB practice, because it seems to play good compared to me, but not too good that I can't draw or beat it, if I am playing my best chess. I still have 3 levels to improve. You should try it too.

The Instructor
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 08:38
    I have been playing both sides against the free Microsoft Chess Titans that was recommended by Fat Lady. I did not record any of the moves because I was just checking it out to see how it plays. My first loss was at level 7. Then I played it at that level again a couple days later and was able to get a draw. Then I just played it again and managed to ge ...[text shortened]... ing my best chess. I still have 3 levels to improve. You should try it too.

The Instructor
    I've got chess titans and have played it a few times, have beat apple chess on level 10 quite easily. Chess titans is not as good as the Saitek. the one I've got stores the whole game , can take back to move 1 and it has 5 opening books. much more choice.

There is definitely a gap for a chess prog between chess titans and a chess engine. chess engines I see don't look user friendly, my version of fritz is just awful in terms of lay out. (its a cheap version)
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 09:49
    I've got chess titans and have played it a few times, have beat apple chess on level 10 quite easily. Chess titans is not as good as the Saitek. the one I've got stores the whole game , can take back to move 1 and it has 5 opening books. much more choice.

There is definitely a gap for a chess prog between chess titans and a chess engine. chess engines I s ...[text shortened]... k user friendly, my version of fritz is just awful in terms of lay out. (its a cheap version)
    Do you have the Saitek shown on this video?

YouTube

The Instructor
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 21:12
    Do you have the Saitek shown on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAX-BF3m690

The Instructor
    yes that one, with a wood chess set.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 22:032 edits
    I have been playing both sides against the free Microsoft Chess Titans that was recommended by Fat Lady. I did not record any of the moves because I was just checking it out to see how it plays. My first loss was at level 7. Then I played it at that level again a couple days later and was able to get a draw. Then I just played it again and managed to ge ing my best chess. I still have 3 levels to improve. You should try it too.

The Instructor
    SSDF...

Here's the Saitek Master (30 sec p/m) - white

vs

Microsoft Chess Titans (level 10) - black

Place your bets 🙂

12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 22:233 edits
    edit
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 22:541 edit
    SSDF...

Here's the Saitek Master (30 sec p/m) - white

vs

Microsoft Chess Titans (level 10) - black

Place your bets 🙂

[pgn]1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 Nbd7 8.g3 h6 9.Bh4 Be7 10.Bg2 O-O 11.O-O e5 12.Nf5 Qb6+ 13.Rf2 Bd8 14.Rb1 exf4 15.gxf4 Bc7 16.Ne7+ Kh8 17.Ncd5 Nxd5 18.Nxd5 Qc5 19.Be7 Re8 20.Nxc7 Qxc7 21.Bxd6 ...[text shortened]... 8.Bc5 Ra8 29.Bxa8 Nxa8 30.Rd8 Nc7 31.Bb6 Bb7 32.Bxc7 Bc6 33.Rxe8+ Bxe8 34.Rd8 f6 35.Rxe8+[/pgn]
    Chess Titans is obviously not at the master level like the Saitek Master. However it did play a normal book opening at that level that I have seen a lot. I am not ready for the master level at this point.

The Instructor
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 07:31
    Chess Titans is obviously not at the master level like the Saitek Master. However it did play a normal book opening at that level that I have seen a lot. I am not ready for the master level at this point.

The Instructor
    its not invincible, to greedy for material. I bought it as I wanted a computer that plays around the level of the top players in a chess club . not masters but not too far off, and it does that.
  15. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 12:152 edits
    The Saitek has the loosing line of the Damiano defence in its opening book... it will grant you a win if you turn 'full book' on.

up to 9.h4 its in book

line 2

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree