1. Standard memberRobertThomas
    Dysfunctional Vet
    Hillsborough, NH
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 04:38
    I am both a Harry Potter geek and a chess nerd so I have a question about wizard chess that I am hoping someone can answer.

The touch-move rule in chess specifies that, if a player deliberately touches a piece[1] on the board when it is his turn to move, then he must move or capture that piece if it is legal to do so. If it is the player's piece that was touched, it must be moved if he has a legal move. If the opponent's piece was touched, it must be captured if it can be captured with a legal move. This is a rule of chess that is enforced in all games played in formal over-the-board competitions. The player claiming a touch-move violation must do so before making a move.

After Ron sacrifices himself Hermione starts to move to check up on him. Harry reminds her they are still playing and he subsequently moves checkmating the other sides king.

Wouldn't Hermione starting to move be equivalent to the touch rule in chess meaning she would have to move or forfeit the match? When Harry moved instead of Hermione would the match then be lost?

Thanks

~RobertThomas~
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 17:52
    Perhaps, but the opponent never called an arbiter over, so it was not enforced.

Otherwise, the result may have gone the other way and we may not have seen any further books published, how tragic.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 06:23
    @robertthomas said
    I am both a Harry Potter geek and a chess nerd so I have a question about wizard chess that I am hoping someone can answer.

The touch-move rule in chess specifies that, if a player deliberately touches a piece[1] on the board when it is his turn to move, then he must move or capture that piece if it is legal to do so. If it is the player's piece that was touched, it m ...[text shortened]... tch? When Harry moved instead of Hermione would the match then be lost?

Thanks

~RobertThomas~
    After Ron sacrifices himself Hermione starts to move to check up on him. Harry reminds her they are still playing and he subsequently moves checkmating the other sides king.

An interesting thought, I would point out however since 2 different people touched the pieces, the touch rule might a bit hard to enforce. Nevertheless, I would award the game to Hermione because Emma Watson is a total hottie! 😀

https://www.maxim.com/women/emma-watson-single-2017-11
  4. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 17:411 edit
    I notice stuff like that all the time.
    For example in the arm wrestling movie "Over the Top" with Stallone. He is in a double elimination tournament where after a loss he still gets to the final match which he wins obviously but his opponent "Bull Hurley" ...god rest his soul...never lost a match so when Stallone beats him and the movie ends he should have had to beat him twice! Top 5 movie all time...just sayin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree