1. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 20:17
    After reading the other thread I had a question that may or may not be relevent. If the top women players in the world play mostly at "Women Championships" or women only tournements should they have a womens rating? This is based on they play in a diffrent pool mostly, or do they play enough other world class players that it will not make a significant diffrence? This has nothing to do with their ability, but more a question on their ratings pool. Is it a valid question or not? Personally I never understood the point in having diffrent compititions for men and women in events where neither sex has an advantage. Pool, chess, darts, foosball and the likes.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 21:09
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    After reading the other thread I had a question that may or may not be relevent. If the top women players in the world play mostly at "Women Championships" or women only tournements should they have a womens rating? This is based on they play in a diffrent pool mostly, or do they play enough other world class players that it will not make a signif ...[text shortened]... omen in events where neither sex has an advantage. Pool, chess, darts, foosball and the likes.
    You are correct I think. There is not a difference in ability between Male and Female players, so I don't see the need for a "women's only" rating. Women are just as capable as men in Chess. What is REALLY needed is more female players.
    😏
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 21:22
    Originally posted by bill718
    You are correct I think. There is not a difference in ability between Male and Female players, so I don't see the need for a "women's only" rating. Women are just as capable as men in Chess. What is REALLY needed is more female players.
    😏
    Are you saying that you don't see the need for women's only events?
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 22:20
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Are you saying that you don't see the need for women's only events?
    Womens only events are OK I guess, but only if they attract more female players, because Women want them, as I said earlier, Women are just as capable as men regarding chess aptitude. If Women want more Women's only events, fine with me, if not, what's the point??

😏
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 22:34
    So what's the problem with having separate ratings for separate kinds of events?

Women's only rating
    Men's only rating
    US only rating

so on and so forth.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 22:59
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So what's the problem with having separate ratings for separate kinds of events?

Women's only rating
    Men's only rating
    US only rating

so on and so forth.
    I think this question of seperate events and ratings for men and women is a very minor point. Weather men and women have seperate events and ratings or not is not going to affect there playing strength, or there ability, so why dwell on it??
    😏
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 03:35
    All it will do is ensure that all ratings are equivalent. That way if the women's circuit is tougher than the men's, the women won't have their ratings lowered by playing higher quality opponents.

Ratings would be more meaningful since you'd be comparing oranges with oranges.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 04:58
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    ... Pool, chess, darts, foosball and the likes.
    football?
  9. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 05:22
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    football?
    table soccer

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree