1. Standard memberpawntorook4
    chaotic patzer
    Campinas, SP; Brazil
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 19:49
    woody had some chess comments in a recent interview

Q: Last time you and I talked, you had just made it to the Maui airport after being engrossed in a chess match. Remember? Do you think life is one big chess match?

A: As a chess player, I do kind of see it that way. Chess is a very warring kind of mentality, I guess, so I don't necessarily see it that way always. But I do see how it relates to everything in life. You can always relate anything to chess. But that may be true of any game. You may be able to relate any game if you're into analogies.

Q: Here's an interesting question for you -- well, I think it's interesting. How came there aren't any great female chess masters?

A: Like the champs? I don't know about that. That's a good question. Maybe the mentality in most women is not quite as warring as the male mentality. We have that truculent approach. I think it was [Garry] Kasparov who said, "Chess is the most violent sport." I don't know. That's a good question. I have run into some really good chess players who are female, though.

Q: I've told you I spend a lot of time covering the Olympics. Do you think chess players ought to be drug tested?

A: I don't think anyone ought to be drug tested. If you're going to do tests, test for all the pharmaceuticals and everything else.

http://www.nbcsports.com/sports/1609124/detail.html
  2. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 20:07
    You never know, amphetamines could be helpful in a time pressure situations.

I think that's an interesting point as well. Why is it the women names in chess seem to stand out less? There are women grandmasters, women's world championships, women hall of famers. I'm not sure, personally I think women have made an impression on the chess world, it's just that there is such a denomination of men in chess that it's not as noticed. I'd like to see some of the female players competing for world titles with men. Chess shouldn't be segregated between sexes, it's not like there are any physical diversities that would make it unfair.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 20:36
    Originally posted by artplayer
    They could be helpful overall. Especially some of the ADHD drugs. Ever played a game of chess after taking an Adderall pill? I think a fair amount of people would find it improves their game/concentration.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 23:22
    Originally posted by artplayer

I think that's an interesting point as well. Why is it the women names in chess seem to stand out less? There are women grandmasters, women's world championships, women hall of famers. I'm not sure, personally I think women have made an impression on the chess world, it's just ...[text shortened]... tween sexes, it's not like there are any physical diversities that would make it unfair.
    I think it has to do with aptitude. Whether it's biological or social, or a combination I don't know. But I just started up a chess club at my kids' school and there are about 10 boys regularly interested and one girl, with a couple who are occasionally interested.
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    09 Jun '07 02:00
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    They could be helpful overall. Especially some of the ADHD drugs. Ever played a game of chess after taking an Adderall pill? I think a fair amount of people would find it improves their game/concentration.
    As Aderall is amphetamine, I'm not sure how bringing up AD/HD helps the conversation. There are AD/HD drugs that are not pep pills for everyone else and would probably just make the average chess player too ill to play.

Abuse of stimulants is a big issue, though--Ritalin is big with college students cramming for exams. I think it should be understood, though, that these stimulants do not have a stimulant effect on people who really have AD/HD, but instead often make them sleepy. (If you know someone who drinks coffee at night to help him sleep you might know someone with an attention deficit.)

Brain chemistry boggles the mind.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    09 Jun '07 02:50
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    As Aderall is amphetamine, I'm not sure how bringing up AD/HD helps the conversation. There are AD/HD drugs that are not pep pills for everyone else and would probably just make the average chess player too ill to play.

Abuse of stimulants is a big issue, though--Ritalin is big with college students cramming for exams. I think it should be understo ...[text shortened]... m sleep you might know someone with an attention deficit.)

Brain chemistry boggles the mind.
    Just to clarify, I am not promoting this practice. The parent poster said, "You never know, amphetamines could be helpful in a time pressure situations." I simply replied with my own personal limited experience with a drug commonly prescribed for ADHD. That it does indeed help focus and concentration.

I think my remark is directly related to the original post:
    "Q: I've told you I spend a lot of time covering the Olympics. Do you think chess players ought to be drug tested?

A: I don't think anyone ought to be drug tested. If you're going to do tests, test for all the pharmaceuticals and everything else.
    "

I would agree, if you are going to test for any drugs, then you must also include pharmaceuticals in your testing.

"Brain chemistry boggles the mind. ", indeed it does.
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    09 Jun '07 20:45
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    I would agree, if you are going to test for any drugs, then you must also include pharmaceuticals in your testing.

Why? If someone actually has ADHD, for example, it would not be in their best interests to have that exposed in most cases. They would find it hard to find work when, when on the meds, they are just as capable and often more capable then their fellows. Or are you saying that a person's psych history should be open for employers to peruse?
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    10 Jun '07 21:16
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Or are you saying that a person's psych history should be open for employers to peruse?
    Actually, my opinion in the matter is that they should NOT do drug testing at all. I find it an invasion of privacy. But if they are going to test for any drugs, then test for them all including prescription drugs that could provide an advantage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree