Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 21 Sep '08 13:51
    I am not usually the type to gloat over a win, but this one was one of those rare exceptions.

  2. 21 Sep '08 14:41
    A good game with an alert and instructive finish.

    I once beat the current Scottish Champion in a 30 minute Allegro
    with that pin on the g-pawn idea.

    I'm Black - Alan Tate is White.



    It's a tactic worth knowing and I covered it in detail showing quite a
    few examples from actual play on one of The Corners.

    http://chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=243

    I had an email a few days after posting the piece from a player
    who saw the idea and then looked at a league game he had played
    just a few days earlier.

    He had the chance to play the Qxh3+ trick shot but missed it! and
    then went onto lose.

    I recall him saying he already depressed, my piece had made
    feel suicidal. (The Corner has that effect on people).

    Lesson here boys - you have got to get those tactical patterns stored.
  3. 21 Sep '08 17:08
    Those were some good pins!

    Here is a game of mine against another member of red hot pawn that I finished last night. I just got back to playing chess again after about a two year break, so feel free to tell me what I could have done better.


    Game 5448482
  4. 21 Sep '08 18:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    A good game with an alert and instructive finish.

    I once beat the current Scottish Champion in a 30 minute Allegro
    with that pin on the g-pawn idea.

    I'm Black - Alan Tate is White.

    [pgn]1.e4 e6 2.d4 b6 3.Nd2 Bb7 4.Bd3 Be7 5.Ngf3 Nf6 6.0-0 c5 7.Re1 cxd4 8.Nb3 Nc6 9.Nbxd4 Nxd4 10.Nxd4 Rc8 11.c4 h5 12.Kh1 Ng4 13.Qf3 Bc5 14.Be3 Qh4 15.h3 Ne5 16.Qe t effect on people).

    Lesson here boys - you have got to get those tactical patterns stored.
    why on earth would white want to play 12.Kh1 in that position? It deserves a double question mark I think?
  5. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    21 Sep '08 18:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kaiza
    Those were some good pins!

    Here is a game of mine against another member of red hot pawn that I finished last night. I just got back to playing chess again after about a two year break, so feel free to tell me what I could have done better.


    Game 5448482
    wow, nice finish!

    3.Nxe5 would have been good though.

    13.Qh4+ is also worth a shot.
  6. 21 Sep '08 19:19
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    wow, nice finish!

    3.Nxe5 would have been good though.

    13.Qh4+ is also worth a shot.
    Be careful who you play 3.Nxe5 against in that position.
    (though in this case you may well be correct)

    If Black is a reasonable player, the win will not be there and
    you may be lulled into doing something rash.

    Fischer played it against someone he thought was a duffer in a simul
    and in the end he could only draw.

    7.Nxe5 looks strong though. Same idea but in a better setting.
  7. 21 Sep '08 19:39
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    why on earth would white want to play 12.Kh1 in that position? It deserves a double question mark I think?
    12.Kh1 isn't bad just not great... But white should play e5 on moves 9, 11 and 12.... It fits more with my style I guess though that's why I say in my opinion.... But either way it e5 on those moves seem better especially on move 11 I think 11.c4 deserves at least a ?! Because there are a plethora of better moves on the board. But if not two ? For 12.Kh1 I do at least agree to one ?
  8. 21 Sep '08 21:32
    Hey, forget about those other games - what about MY game. That was a real one too, played in real time - so I had to calculate that crafty sequence in mere seconds.