1. Joined
    29 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 03:31
    What would be solving chess? The perfect game for white, and the perfect black response? So there is one perfect game? Thats mindblowing considering the mathematical properties of chess.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 03:32
    Moreover, I think computers are good for chess. They allow players like me to understand the games of GMs and also to create interesting opening novelties. They improve the quality and accessibility of chess.
  3. Standard memberMerk
    Steamin transies
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 05:08
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    It's not going to be nearly as easy to solve chess as you think it is. Depending on whose estimate you believe, there might be 10^123 possible chess games, and somewhere between 10^40 and 10^50 legal positions. For comparison, the estimated number of atoms in the universe is estimated between 4x10^79 and 10^81 (thanks, Wikipedia!). It may never be possib ...[text shortened]... Certainly not in our lifetime, barring some miracle computer breakthough that dooms go too. 🙂
    Those are like big numbers and stuff. I am not a computer guy, but someone who is can tell us what kind of processing power it takes to crunch numbers like that. Like I said, its not here today or in the near future, but I firmly believe that at some point it will be solved. It would not surprise me one bit if a team of students from an M.I.T. Type school figured it out 20 years from now. Again, someone for more knowledgeable than I am about computers will have a better idea when the ability will be there. It seems to me that if we consider how far chess computers have come since blue, its going to take longer than 20. On the other hand, I don't know if anyone has actually tried to solve it.
  4. Standard memberMerk
    Steamin transies
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 05:20
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Moreover, I think computers are good for chess. They allow players like me to understand the games of GMs and also to create interesting opening novelties. They improve the quality and accessibility of chess.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with computers being good for chess. Even if they do solve it chess will not die. Computer operated CNC machines make "technically" better items than man can by hand, but that doesn't stop people from making things by hand. Nobody gives a rats arse about a machine carved sculpture.
  5. Standard memberMerk
    Steamin transies
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 05:22
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Do you think like Fischer? Is chess really dead? 🙁 I hope not, because I love it.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3468

Go to the section numbered - > 33' 10"
    I think chess should hold a press conference and say that Bobby Fischer is dead.
  6. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 16:26
    Let's hypothetically say that there is no room for more Opening Theory; that it is now "Opening Law." Then take the two best GMs in the world and pit their considerable opening knowledge against one another. I gaurantee you that there will be deviations in EVERY game. Some ending with a strong position for White or vice-versa.
    Even if ALL possible opening variations are known, there is absolutely no way that a human could retain every line of every opening. So, you will continue to get innovations and deviations for centuries to come. That is until they invent a game that is more popular than chess (which is about as likely as computers killing the game).
  7. over there
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 11:52
    Originally posted by JDChess

This is only competetively though for people like us. The game, played for fun between patzers, will never die.
    I hope it won't die. I've spent all this time studying. 🙂
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 15:11
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Do you think like Fischer? Is chess really dead? 🙁 I hope not, because I love it.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3468

Go to the section numbered - > 33' 10"
    When Fischer said that 1.e4 was white's only first move, he was wrong. But he offered more sense in that statement than in anything he has said since.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 15:26
    Originally posted by Merk
    Nobody gives a rats arse about a machine carved sculpture.
    I'm not so sure about that.
    Computer generated paintings and computer generated music find much interest by the public.
    Even computer generated chess is interesting, isn't it?
  10. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 16:42
    Of course chess is not dead - people are playing it and enjoying it! As long as that happens chess is not dead.
  11. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 18:20
    1.e4 a5 2.d4 a4 3.Nf3 a3!

see, chess can be fun.

(a game I played recently otb where black won)
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 01:24
    Fischer also said that the holocaust never happened, so as you can see, his word is crap.

He also said in "Bobby Fischer teaches chess" that the Bishop > Knight, again, his word is crap (he just liked his light squared bishop more than his other minor pieces, and he dominated at Bishop endgames)
  13. Santa Clara, CA
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 02:221 edit
    *looks at RHP*

nope it's not dead.

i think as long as there is a human element, nothing can be completely killed off by solving it with algorithims (if possible). i mean look at the rubiks cube, people are still solving those like crazy, sure there may be a way to program a computer to figure out every possible solution (though it'd take eons), people still enjoy it because of the human element.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree