Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 May '18 20:281 edit
    1989 - Seattle Chess Club Championships. Round 1

White - Abdelnour - Ziad 2011 USCF

Black - Me - 1389 USCF

Rating difference 622

He was a grad student at the University of Washington. This game went 6 1/2 hours, 81 moves, 3 time controls. He sacrificed 2 pawns at different points of the game for attacks that I was able to defend against. Resigned on move 82 when queening my c pawn became inevitable. It was only my 2nd tournament. He resigned gracefully, though I could tell he was raging with anger inside. I however, was walking on sunshine for the next week! 😀

Any other upset stories out there?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '18 14:31
    Originally posted by @mchill
    1989 - Seattle Chess Club Championships. Round 1

White - Abdelnour - Ziad 2011 USCF

Black - Me - 1389 USCF

Rating difference 622

He was a grad student at the University of Washington. This game went 6 1/2 hours, 81 moves, 3 time controls. He sacrificed 2 pawns at different points of the game for attacks that I was able to defend against. Resigne ...[text shortened]... I however, was walking on sunshine for the next week! 😀

Any other upset stories out there?
    I haven't beaten much stronger players except once in Amsterdam, a pickup game against an expert where he missed a rook fork. Next game he wiped me out.
    So what is your OTB rating now? I imagine you went up a few hundred points.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 May '18 21:56
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I haven't beaten much stronger players except once in Amsterdam, a pickup game against an expert where he missed a rook fork. Next game he wiped me out.

I've not played OTB since the 90's, when I left it was about 1640.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree